Nurse's Joy

Once Maddie had calmed down enough, Nurse sat her in a chair and perched opposite, next to Joy.

'It's time we told you something sweetheart. Joy is my daughter. She knows about regression and she won't judge you.'

Maddie remained silent, processing the information quietly. Joy had just been... watching over her?

A warm hand clasped hers and Maddie looked up, meeting eyes with Joy.

'It's okay angel. I'm still your friend. Still me.'

Maddie blushed. She'd never had a real friend before. It made her feel all warm and bubbly inside.

'Can you sit Maddie while I look after a patient, darling?' Nurse smiled at Joy, who nodded in response. 

'Sure,  Mum. Love have you eaten lunch yet?'

Maddie nodded, biting her lip. She wanted more Wordlessly, Joy left the room. when she returned, she was holding a bottle.

Cradled in Joy's lap, suckling on warm milk, Maddie relaxed for the first time all day.

'Are you happy, bumble? Do you need anything?'

Maddie softly shook her head, but she wanted a teddy. Joy hummed and tucked a teddy under her arm.

'I'll lever you this anyway, little one. I don't want you to feel like your can't ask for things.'

A warm glow unfurled inside of Maddie as she felt safe.