Pain

Maddie drifted in and out of consciousness, her lullaby playlist gently nudging her into littlespace.

She couldn't quite relax into it. Everything childish she tried felt forced, and so she could think about was her pain.

She jumped as a hand was laid gently on her shoulder.
'What's wrong, little one?'
Joy traced shapes with her thumb on Maddie's back. A star. A circle. A diamond.

'Snuffing.'
Maddie mumbled, not wanting to cause Joy to hurt.

'Nothing, huh? Well, I don't want to cross a boundary, but I promise I'm here to support you when you need it. '
Joy smiled and pressed a gentle kiss to Maddie's forehead. Maddie felt her face turn beetroot red and nodded slightly.

'Oh, Maddie, I think we should visit Nurse.'
Joy gently took Maddie's hand and led her to the sick rooms.

***

'Oh my darling, let's get you comfy and safe.' Nurse hugged Maddie tightly and laid her down on a bed. The brown paper covering crinkled, and Maddie felt herself slipping.

A rush of cold air alerted her that her pants had been removed, and a soft, cushiony white cloud was being taped around her waist.

'Joy, honey, can you stop her sucking her thumb please?'

A pacifier was slipped past Maddie's lips, and she gasped. Joy was still here.

A warm hand rubbed circles on her tummy, soothing her further into regression.

Joy hummed a sweet lullaby, and the last thing Maddie was conscious of was a blanket being wrapped around her body.