Chapter 2

The 3rd Volunteer

The 3rd Volunteer

         He deliberately remembers the first glimpse of dawn at the crack of the horizon far from the city. And he still remembers the taste of his last cigarette spread bitterly on his tongue. He should be still on his bed, still under the dripping waters of the shower, warming his bruised muscles but he was driving away from town while everybody seems to be still inside their homes.

         And now, the long hallway had brought him back to his sanity, the lights gleam brightly upon his skin. Just within his arrival, two men guided him inside the vicinity. Formally introducing themselves as if they are to welcome someone so important, but he guessed, he is. They are.

         Promptly at the ground floor, his eyes flew to the very corner where two persons were destined at the trail of chairs. Two who he quite knew well. He saw them stand, almost at the same time but one who has that distinct smile, one that surely made him calm, embraced him under a warm hug.

         "You made it." The other said, casting a brief smile.

        He nodded, pursed his lips for a while then looked around the building. It was new to him still, far untrue from what he heard from the bystanders, even from the words of most civilians and far stretched from what rumors held. They say it was a small cramp-up basement, a dirty secret organization, with the lack of resources and money but as they say again, it might be lacking the government's support but they have almost all skilled agents around.

        The place tells him otherwise—it was spacious, clean, modern.

        Not an old crafty place.

        "The chief will see you shortly just after we direct you to the dressing rooms." One of the men said and cocked an eyebrow. Oh Sehun, the name he introduced a while ago. "Your belongings are already in your respective rooms but you'll get into that after we're finished here."

        They lead them to another hallway which he supposed longer than the first. The unusual feeling, he had felt moments ago had disappeared, only to be replaced by anticipation. But his eyes remained tranquil despite the small expectation he had; lip sealed like the unbothered person he is. Then his head snapped at the front, where the other man had asked a question.

        "You do have the guts to join, huh?" Park Chanyeol asked, addressing the two as he followed at the back with Sehun trailing behind. There came a low chuckle, a rather embarrassed one. "Don't get me wrong, it was brave of you three. We hadn't received any applications from anyone. Not one, at least."

         He heard a sweet voice.

        "Oh no, it's okay. We've been getting the same questions, anyway. And we get to say the same answer."

        "Right." The man answered back. "You made the right decision I suppose." He heard him buckle a breath then the last words came in a whisper, a stern one. "As long as you make it out alive."