Chapter 6

First Night

First Night

        Turning the volume of the radio would much calm the irking silence in his ears — he should do that, Taehyung told himself a few times already. But he didn't. Even so, it wouldn't lift the grave atmosphere they share or do make them feel better about their travel. It was the silence that brought a connection between them, and understanding both of them carry. It should be a silent solitude. Yet, it feels empty and bare.

        It was abrupt, he knows, rushed. Whatever words he chose to describe it, it will still be the same thought in his mind. Over and over again. Over and over again. He was brought to this mission, chosen even. And he should be contented with that. Should be confident that O.N.E.A.R.M had finally acknowledged someone like him, of his skills and his intelligence alone. Enough to give their trust and the future of the organization to him, enough to let him stand beside one of the proficient agent leaders they have.

        Taehyung clenched his jaw, a futile attempt to distract himself.

        He should be happy with that.

        But he wasn't.

        Now that he isn't sure if it was a great idea to bring them together.

        "We're close." Taehyung said, peering from the open window as he drives. He noticed the sun is nearing to set.

        "Good."

        "Do you have any plan to stop by for dinner?" He asked blankly.

         He didn't hear her answer. Didn't feel her move at the back seat. Didn't meet her eyes in the rear-view mirror as he waits. But being left unanswered and with his thinning patience, Taehyung looked away, centered his focus back on the steering wheel. It shouldn't take long now, half an hour more.

        "We should... go straight ahead."

         Taehyung finally heard her say.

        "Remember, this is a mission, 95. Not a vacation you planned yourself. I'd suggest we head straight to the place. Unpack our bags. And call it a day. You wouldn't want to expose your identity that easily, would you?"

        He dragged his gaze back at the mirror, unintentionally said under his calm breath,

        "I know."

        "You know?" Before Jeongyeon could even see past his reflection, he was back looking at the road, turning the car into a right intersection. "Then, why ask such a stupid question?"

        Taehyung can sense the rising irritation he'd initiated within her. But he didn't smile, didn't blow out a sigh, or shook his head as a response. He didn't find it amusing. And he just needed a distraction — one that would go through the length of hours before he could find his mood sour again. At least they exchanged a conversation, formed sentences, though he can't call it decent, it was much better than silence. He should close his damn mouth shut, let their discussion disappear in thin air, but he didn't raise that question without a certain purpose, or a reason he doesn't know. Taehyung did have one when he eventually said,