Chapter 19

Isla snapped the mask strings against her ears. The store was boring and the mask was sticky. One of her mom's had decided Isla couldn't be at home alone, even though she was 14. Their brother and other mom where at his soccer game, which they shouldn't even be having but his school was conservatives as hell. They fully expected them both to come back with covid. You couldn't make a bunch of 12 year old's wear a mask for 3 hours, let alone well they where running around on a field in boiling weather.

On the other hand, they was getting a play by play from Auden as she watched two dogs fight in a dog park. From the strange story line, Isla had deciphered hat the fight was happening across the street from where Auden sat, and that it was unclear if the dogs where fighting or making love. All Isla needed to do was send the occasional what? and my god and Auden happily kept going. It was honestly the most enjoyable thing that had happened to them all day.

"Are we done?" Isla questioned as they watched the cart pile up with packets of Mexican taco seasoning. Nobody in their family had even been to Mexico, and the last time they went to a Mexican restaurants was 2015. but it was the only spice allowed in the house.

"We still need milk and apples." Their mom glanced down at the list. Isla stared at the oranges in the cart, questioning why they hadn't grab the apples when they got them.

"I'll go grab the milk and meet you by the apples?" Isla offered. Their mom agreed and they went separate directions.

Isla chanted the needed item to themselves as the walked to the section (that they had already been at to grab cheese five minutes ago). Subconsciously they skipped over all the brown tiles, stepping only on the white like a little kid. Their phone buzzed again and they stepped to the side to check it

Nope there defiantly making out

This is getting graphic

Kitty, why are you just watching and not idk

GETTING OUTTA THERE?

Its enjoyable.

Isla shook her head at her phone. Kitty was always in these situations, and in all honesty it made life more enjoyable.

"Ma'am, could you tell me where the juice is?" Some one walked up to Isla. They jumped, and flinched at what they had been called. Curse the orange shirt, abnormally tall height, and feminine presentation.

"Over there I think" Isla pointed in the general direction. They did their best to be polite, but the bitter tone came threw in their voice. The person nodded and walked away. Isla grumbled curses under her breath, not directed at anyone other then the world. They pulled their hood up, grabbed the milk, and walked over to find their mom.

"There you are honey!" Their mom took the milk from their hand and put in the cart. Isla mumbled a hello and the duo walked to self checkout. They had far to many items, but their mom refused to go to a human checkout due to the pandemic.

Check out was quick, both of them in a smooth rhythm of scanning and bagging. They finished paying and watched to the car with all the bags. Luckily it was a short walk. Isla slid in the back of the car and they drive began.

You ok? You haven't said anything

WHERE ARE THESE DOGS OWNERS!

Huh?

This is fucking grim

Oh this is still a thing

Yep.

The dogs are so very in love

Like me a kermit

Hell no

Hell yes!

"What you up to?" Isla's mom glances in the mirror. Isla shrugged and switched to temple run on their phone. They could feel their mom's eye roll

The person in the store's 'Ma'am' stuck in their head. Why did it? They used she/they, it wasn't anything bad. But something about it made them feel so.. uncomfortable. So wrong. They didn't know quite how to explain it. But they hated it. Hated how it made them feel. Hated this feeling of confusion. What now? What was this? They presented feminine, why were they so torn on the simple word 'ma'am'.

As they stepped out the car, a dizzy feeling overwhelmed them. Everything hurt mentally. They could feel every sound overwhelming their senses. Their hands began to shake and they had to lean against the car so to not drop the bags they where holding. Even just the feeling of the normally comforting old hoodie they where wearing was overwhelming them.

"Here, go get some rest" Their mom took the bags cautiously and shooed them off. They shot back a grateful look and wobblily walked off to their room. They collapsed on their bed and dug their face into their pillow to stop the tears streaming from their eyes. With this being unsuccessful, they flipped over and began to text someone.

hey ktty can we talk