Chapter 22

You better bet I'm following tradition. Chapter 22 baby! Just wait for 29 😏

Isla buried their head in their sleeves and tried to block out the lessons. The teacher was droning on and they had been on the verge of breaking down all day. It was that heavy feeling in their chest they couldn't shake, and a burning in the back of their eyes. On top of this, the teacher was teaching a lesson mandated by the district about mental health.

The class was over in 5 minutes, and it felt like forever. Their eyes felt dry from holding back tears, and the mask on their face was itching and all their attention was drawn to it.

Class finally ended, and Isla silently packed their bag and rushed out the classroom. They dashed down the hall, barely mumbling a 'sorry' to the people they ran into. They leaned against the building, tears streaming down their face. Their house was only two blocks away, but they could barely muster the strength to stand straight.

They must have been their for at least 10 minutes before their phone buzzed. They reached to pull it out of their pocket and fumbled it before opening the text it took them a minute to read it through the blur of tears.

Gerty?

You always text me at this time

And you didn't 😞

Sorry one min

Ok?

Isla did their best to wipe away the tears though more kept coming. They wobbly came to their feet and began to walk. One step after another, they couldn't stop or they'd never be able to continue.

Soon they reached their door and stepped inside. Luckily the only other person home was their mom who was on a business call. They slung their bag onto the kitchen table and dashed up the stairs. They slammed face first onto their bed. Disturbing jazz bee's filled their vision before tears took over again.

Their cat, a old fluffy tabby, came to curl up next to their leg. Robin purred gently as they fell asleep. Isla interwove their finger with the long fur before opening up their phone.

Hi

You ok?

Today was crap

Like not that bad or really bad

Really bad

Kermit cheated bad or Kermit died bad?

Kermit died

Fuck why did that make me laugh

That's what I'm here for 😩

😩😩😩

Thank you Isla

Choke me like you love me but you hate me

Please don't continue that

Ok I won't

Thank you

Isla sighed happily and continued to text. They continued for around a hour, bringing Isla's mood up. They where still sniffing away tears, but it was a big improvement.

Slowly as it continued, Isla's leg began to chill. It was slow, and came unnoticed by Isla. The conversation continued, and her leg began to become colder and colder.

Isla slowly reaches down to pet the cat on her leg, feeling a cold lifeless body under her finger tips. They pulled back their hand in shock. Everything felt numb. They rolled away against the wall to get away from the body. The phone slipped from their hand and accidentally pressed the call button. Tears streamed down their face and they screamed. Pain overwhelmed.

"Gerty? GERTY? ISLA?"

"NO NO NO NO"

Isla continued to scream. Their scream faded into a silent scream only dogs could hear. Pain filled their throat. All they could feel was panic and hurt and sorrow.

"My cat died" Isla choked out. Auden's voice failed.

This was official the worst day of their life.

--------

This was completely a vent a summary of my day. It was modified to fit Isla but still my day.

Rip puzzle the hamster, I miss him already.

Sorry this chapter is rushed it was a vent more then anything.