Chapter 7

Katie

We were eating lunch at our usual table when Travis came through the doors. I frowned. Why was he here? Complaining about the food here was the only thing he ever did that wasn't a joke. He came up to me and my friends. "Katie-Kat, can I steal you for a moment?" I grinned at his chose of words. "Sure, that's your specialty, isn't it?" I got up and waved to my friends and followed him.

When we were out of the cafeteria, Travis looked around for other people and took my hand. When he didn't see anyone, he pulled me into the bathroom. I was about to ask him what we were doing here, when he put a finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet. I heard a flush in one of the stalls. Travis quickly pulled me into another stall and locked the door. // We were way too close to each other for comfort. I tried to slow my breathing, but it didn't really work. I heard the other person turn on the faucet. I looked at Travis' lips. Dam it Katie stop that. I quickly looked back up, only to be gazing into his piercing blue eyes. This is not going well. I was blushing like crazy. I turned my head to the stall door so I didn't have to look at his face that was currently giving me butterflies for some reason. Luckily, the other bathroom visitor finally left and we could come out of our hiding place again. "So tell me, why did you bring me to the bathroom? You don't need my assistance to pee, do you?" I scrunched my face in disgust. Travis rolled his eyes. "Chiron sent me a message, but he wanted to talk to both of us about something. I told him I'd go get you and we would send an Iris-message." "Fine, but I don't have any Drachmae." He tossed me a coin. "You get the connection going, I'll lock the door."

I turned the faucet on and made a rainbow. By the time Chiron appeared, Travis was back next to me again. As soon as he saw us, he said "Oh good, there you are. I'm glad to see you two haven't killed each other by now." "The day isn't over yet," I replied. He smiled. "Do you have plans for this weekend?" I shook my head, wondering why that was important. Next to me, Travis was shaking his head to. "We've located a half-blood at your school and I wanted to ask you two if you could bring him to camp this weekend."

"Both of us? Why?" I asked Chiron. I really didn't feel like spending my weekend driving to camp with Travis. "Yeah, we can handle it on our own," Travis agreed with me. "Out of the question. These are dangerous times and I don't want one of you killed because of your stubbornness. You bring the boy together or not at all." I sighed. It was obvious Chiron wasn't going to back down and arguing with him was always useless. "Fine. I don't have anything to do besides homework anyway. What's the kid's name?" Travis slumped his shoulders, not gladly accepting defeat. "Jack Rodriguez. He's a freshman at your school." Chiron was looking at the information on a piece of paper. "Any clue about his godly parent? It's not anyone from the big tree, is it?" Chiron shook his head at Travis' question. "No, we would have discovered him sooner if he was that powerful." "Great, because I don't feel like dealing with hurricanes, lightning or even dead people. Way too much work." I rolled my eyes at him. Couldn't he ever take something serious? The connection was already fading. I told Chiron we'd handle it and bring him to camp. I turned of the faucet so he disappeared. "Now let's get out of here before someone gets suspicious."

Travis unlocked the door and checked if the coast was clear. He motioned with his hand that we could go. "So what is the plan? How are we going to find this kid?" Travis shrugged. "How am I supposed to know? Can't we just ask around to see if anyone know him?" I considered it for a while. "No, it'd be weird if suddenly two people he doesn't know are asking around about him. I don't think he'll trust us." Travis thought for a bit. "We can kill a monster in front of all the freshmen and see who's the most freaked out. Or we can break into admin and look at his timetable." I shook my had at his crazy plans. "Well, since we are definitely not luring a monster here, I'd say breaking in is our best option." "Great. Meet back here after school?" He grinned and held his hand out. I rolled my eyes, but shook it anyway. "See you later."

I went back to the cafeteria and was glad to see my friends still sitting there. They were all looking at me. "So what happened?" Dam, I did not think about coming up with an excuse. My phone buzzed. "Wait a second," I told my friends. I was grateful for anything that would help me avoid their questions a little bit longer. I took out my phone. It didn't look like much, but it was the only one demigods could use without attracting monsters 24/7. The Hephaestus cabin had put all sorts of protective shields around the signals or something. I didn't know exactly how it worked, but I was glad to have one. A teenager without a phone looked weird too almost everyone. I was sick of all the questions about it. My phone may look a little weird, but at least meeting up with people wasn't such a struggle anymore.

T: Tell them we had a project for a class they're not in

I bit my lip so my friends wouldn't see me smiling. Maybe Travis wasn't so useless after all.

K: How did you know I needed an excuse?

T: I told you, superpowers

T: Also I bugged all the tables

K: You did what?

T: I bugged the tables in the cafeterias. Honestly Katie-Kat, I didn't know you could be deaf on text

K: Why?

T: I needed the leverage. All the best gossip happens at lunch

He did have a point there. That still didn't mean I liked the thought of him listening to everything we said. However, I resisted the urge to feel under the table, knowing I'd immediately find gum. My friends were still looking at me, expecting an explanation. "Why are you all looking at me like that? Nothing happened, we just had to do this project for history." I was aware I didn't sound very convincing. My phone buzzed again, but I ignored it. "Come on Katie, you can't seriously think we believe that crap." I shot an angry look at Eve. "Why not? It's the truth," I tried again. They rolled their eyes. "That excuse contains about as much truth as when you say you don't think he's hot." Amber said. I blushed, knowing full well Travis heard it and was going to use it against me. Thankfully the bell rang, so I could escape any further question. "I have to get to class. See you later." I waved to my friends as I speed-walked out of there. I looked at the texts Travis had sent on the way to my classroom.

T: You're a terrible liar

T: You think I'm hot? ',:)

T: Can't blame you. I am pretty awesome

I rolled my eyes and typed a quick reply.

K: Don't get your hopes up

I quickly put away my phone again so it wouldn't be confiscated. For some teachers taking teenager's phones seems to be the only good thing in their lives. But then I stopped in my tracks. It would give me an excuse to be at the administration. Maybe Travis could look up the timetable while I distracted the person at the front desk.

K: New plan

K: I'm getting my phone confiscated so we can pick it up after school

K: I'm not sure I can get you a lot of time to get the timetable though

T: I thought I told you never to underestimate me. I'll take care of it

I heard heavy footsteps coming my way. When I looked up, miss Johnson was holding her hand out at me. "Phone. Now." I placed it in her hand without any comments. "Get to class. You're late." How was I late? She was still here too. I decided to keep that to myself and ran to the door.