Chapter 8

Travis

I leaned against the wall of the administration office. Through the little window in the door, I took in the room. There was only one person in there, so as long as Katie could keep him occupied long enough we shouldn't have a problem. I saw the computer at the back of the room. The guy was currently typing away, so there was a good chance I wouldn't need to know the passport. I still got out my decoder to be sure. (A/N I don't really know what the thing that breaks passwords is called so I took a chance.)

"You ready?" I turned my head towards Katie. She had her backpack slung over her shoulder and was already reaching for the door handle. I nodded at her and she went inside. I crouched so the counter blocked me from the man's view. I was already at the side when Katie asked him for her phone. He bent down to take out the box with confiscated phones, giving me the opportunity to sneak past him.

I sat on my knees behind the computer. I didn't want to risk the chair making any noise. As I'd expected it was still unlocked. I searched for timetable only to realize I didn't know which one I needed. So I searched for the kid's name in stead. In the mean time Katie was taking her time figuring out which phone was hers. She kept pretending to not see it, even though it was laying right at her hand. "Are you sure these are the only one brought in?" I finally found Jack's information and got out my phone to take a picture of the timetable. I gave a thumbs up to Katie and started to get back to her, but the man was turning to see what she was looking at. "Oh here it is!" Katie's scream turned his attention back to her. "I'm so stupid sometimes. It was right under my nose." I quickly got back to her side of the counter. As soon as I was there, Katie grabbed her phone and got out of the office, leaving the door open long enough so I could sneak outside too.

"Oh Gods, I can't believe we just did that," Katie said as soon as the door was closed. "You got it, right?" I showed her the picture on my phone. "Great! When do you think would be the best time to talk to him?" I studied the classes. "Maybe tomorrow between third and fourth period?" She shook her head. "No, I have class on the other side of campus then. I'd also have to find a way to get away from Julie" "When do you have class alone?" She looked at the ceiling in thought. "Uhm, fifth period I think. We could catch him after that. Gods that sounds stalky." I checked if I'd have any problems with that, but there wasn't anything I could think of. "Okay, so we can wait for him outside math and talk to him before class starts." "That doesn't give us a lot of time. Maybe we can ask him to meet us after school? I mean, explaining the Gods are still alive and that he's a child of one of them isn't exactly something you can say in a quick chat." "Seems like we've got ourselves a plan. How hard can it be to convince him?"

Very hard was the answer to that. It already started to go wrong when I left French and Sabrina wanted to talk to me for some reason. She was a cheerleader (A/N: whoops cliché alert sorry) and we didn't run in the same circles at all. "Hey Trav," she said, batting her eyelashes. She looked liked she had something in her eye. "What do you want Sabrina?" I tried to get around her but she just moved. "You know, Sabrina is such a long name. You can just call me S. All my friends do. It's because I'm basically Serena from gossip girl." I raised my eyebrows. "Sure you are. But I don't really have time for your nonsense right now." She fake-laughed. I tried to walk past her again, but she saw it coming and somehow managed to hook her arm into mine. I tried to pull away but I guess all those pyramids made her pretty strong. "Trav, you are sO funny. You know, if you don't have time we can walk to class together. That way we can keep talking." I sighed. But at least I was moving now. I needed to get to Jack's classroom and then I'd figure out how to deal with the annoying cheerleader on my arm.

Honestly, I couldn't wait to convince some kid we'd never met to meet some strangers after school. Everything was better then Sabrina talking my ear off about trivial things like what song they were going to use for their next performance. As if I'd be there to see it. I pretty much zoned out when she began talking about something else. "So I said I was gonna ask you out but everyone was like 'No I think he's with that Katie girl.' and so I was like 'No way he's with that weirdo. He's way out of her league.' and then they agreed I was the better choice anyways." I pulled my arm from her grip. I guess it wasn't that hard with the right motivation. "Don't talk about her like that. Also, don't talk about yourself like that. Why would you ever think I'd choose you over Katie?" She rolled her eyes. "You know, you don't have to defend her just because she has crush on you." "She doesn't- Whatever. I'm done talking to you." I walked away, but she didn't give up. "I'll see you in class!" she screamed. "I hope not!" I yelled back.

"What took you so long? Class is almost starting what if he was early?" I didn't tell her about Sabrina. It didn't matter anyway. "Relax Katie-Kat. If he had been early then we'd know he was a child of Athena. No one besides them has dyslexia and likes school." She rolled her eyes at me. The difference between when she does it and when Sabrina did it made me smile. "What are you so happy about?" Katie questioned. "Why are you looking at me when we have a demigod to find?" I countered. "Why are you dodging the question?" I glared at her, but then I saw the kid we were looking for. I nudged her with my arm and nodded in his direction. "What do we say to him?" I asked her. "I don't know, maybe we should've thought of that already." "Yeah that probably would have been a good idea. Guess we'll have to wing it."

"Hey kid, what's your name?" He looked behind him to see if he was really the one I was talking to. When he realized he was, he frowned. "Uhm...I'm Jack. Who are you and why are you talking to me?" Now I didn't know what to say. Dam, we should not have been this unprepared. "We want you to join our club," Katie said. "We do?" She elbowed me in the ribs. "I mean we do. It's a club for-" I looked to Katie for help. "-for people with dyslexia to help each other study." I nodded enthusiastically for support. Thank the Gods for Katie. If I was mrs Robinson, I'd give her an A for improv. "We have a meeting after school and we were wondering if you'd like to come. You don't have to join right away, just see what we're about, okay?" Jack looked between me and Katie a few times. He seemed suspicious, but agreed. "Fine I'll come. When and where is it?" We gave him a time and place after school and let him get to his class. When he was out of sight, Katie and I high-fived and ran back to our classrooms. The only thing we had to do now was tell him all of Greek mythology was true. That part was going to be fun.