Chapter 14

Katie

"Come on Katie-Kat, wake up. Teasing you is no fun when you're unconscious," I heard a voice say. I couldn't open my eyes yet, but I knew it was Travis. I didn't know if he was also the one holding my hand. I tried to say something, but I couldn't form the words. "Kates, please. Open your eyes. I promise I'll stop pranking you for a week." I tried to open my eyes again, and this time it worked a bit. Travis' eyes widened. "Well that's to good an offer to pass up on." My voice was hoarse, but it worked. "Katie-Kat this isn't the time for jokes," Travis said with a smile. I tried to sit up, but everything got dizzy. I grabbed Travis' arm for support. He laid me back down. "Easy there Kates, you have to rest. Getting knocked out by a hellhound isn't a joke." He had a point there, I was already having trouble focussing on anything around me. "It certainly isn't if it makes you into a serious person," I said. He chuckled. "Don't worry Katie-Kat, that is never happening." I felt myself drifting away again. "Good, because-" but I didn't have the strength to finish. "Sleep tight Kates," I heard Travis say before giving my a kiss on my forehead. I only half registered it and fell asleep again.

Whoosh

I woke up to an empty room. I vaguely remembered Travis being here, but everything was a bit fuzzy. A young women entered the room with a glass of water. "Great, you're up. Your boyfriend isn't here anymore, I had to sent him back to class. Oh and he left this for you." She gave me a piece of paper and then left again before I'd had the change to tell her Travis wasn't my boyfriend. I opened the folded piece of paper. It had Greek on it, probably so the nurse wouldn't know what it said if she read it. 'Katie-Kat, I put some ambrosia under your pillow. Don't take too much, I already gave you some at lunch. Also I told the nurs you fell down the stairs. -Travis' the note said. I checked to see if the nurse wasn't coming back and then got the little package from under my pillow. I took a bite and felt better already. I sat up and looked at the clock. School was already almost over. I sighed, thinking about the classes I now needed to catch up with.

The bell rang and not much later my friends stormed inside. "What are you doing here?" How did they even know I was in here? "We're visiting you silly," Amber said. "You didn't have to do that. It's not like I'm in the hospital." She rolled her eyes. "Katie, you were out for hours. Don't act like this isn't a big deal." I shrugged. Considering we got attacked by a hellhound, I could be off worse. "Oh and by the way, we took notes for you," Eve told me, opening her backpack and pulling out some sheets of paper. "Thanks you guys, you're the best. How did you even know I was sick?" "Travis told us. He looked very worried," Julie explained, wiggling her eyebrows. I threw a wad of paper at her. Wait, how did I get a wad of paper? Styx. The note. I prayed Julie wouldn't notice, but apparently I'd already used all my luck for today on not getting eaten by that hellhound. She frowned at the piece op paper. "What's this?" I had no reasonable explanation for why I had a note written in Greek, so I acted like I had no idea what she was talking about. "What's what?" She showed us the paper with Travis' handwriting on it. Of course, I was the only one who knew that. "No way that's English," Amber remarked. "Can you try google translate?" Eve contributed. Oh no. This was not going well. "You can't type in those scribbles though," I tried. "No, but I can just use the camera function," Julie countered, already trying to scan the note with her phone. I wished my friends weren't this resourceful. My only hope left was a miracle. Or google translate messing up, which was very likely considering Ancient Greek was different than modern Greek and the app could mess up even when you chose the right language. That made me relax a bit. "Any results?" Eve wanted to know. "Nothing much. Something about a cat and a pillow and then a bunch of words it can't translate. This on the bottom is probably a name right?" Julie showed it to the others and they nodded in agreement. "Wait, I'll look up the Greek alphabet." Styx. This was going way too good for them. "How do you even know it's Greek?" Julie frowned. "It's pretty obvious, isn't it?" She did have a point there. Honestly, I had no idea how the Mist had managed to keep Jack's parents from figuring it out all these years. "Let's see. A T is just a T. That round p-thingy is supposed to be an r. Then there's an a..."

"Hey Katie-Kat!" Travis came in, chipper as ever. Until he noticed my panicked expression and my friends huddled around his note. "Help," I mouthed. "Hi girls! What are you doing?" He tried to get their attention. "We're translating this note we found. We almost got the name at the bottom figured out but I can't find this fourth letter anywhere. Do you know any names that start with-" Julie's mouth fell open in realization. Amber and Eve seemed to have figured it out too. Their shocked faces turned into grins, but before they could say anything, Travis snapped his fingers in front of their faces. "It's a pity you couldn't figure out what that note meant," he said. My friends nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it was probably meaningless anyway. Katie, we have to go now, sorry. Feel better." They left and as soon as the door closed again, I threw my pillow at Travis. "Are you crazy? You can't just manipulate my friends!" He threw back my pillow. "No, you can't be mad at me when I saved you." "I was handling it fine," I said, totally ignoring the fact that I had no idea what to do. "So how exactly were you going to explain why I wrote you a note in freaking Greek?" I crossed my arms and looked in the other direction, not wanting to see him smiling. "That doesn't mean you can control mortals like that." "Yes, it does. That's the whole reason the Mist exists. Besides, it's not harming them or anything."

"What are you even doing here?" I asked Travis. "Taking you home of course. There's no way I'm letting you drive like this." I sat up and began to get out of the bed. "I'm fine," I told Travis, standing up and immediately stumbling thanks to my spinning head. I steadied myself. "I can see that," he said sarcastically. I looked for my backpack, but Travis was already holding it. I took it from him and started to walk to the door, still a bit dizzy. But before I could put my hand on the handle, Travis picked me up. "What the Hades are you doing Stoll?" "I'm carrying you Kates. You were walking like a drunk. I don't want to be responsible if you fall down again." I ignored the feeling in my stomach. "Fall? I got knocked out by a giant paw. I don't think that qualifies as falling." Travis shrugged. "Potato potato. I'm not putting you down either way." I glared at him, but was secretly glad. No I wasn't. Yes you are. I wasn't. Shut up.