9

1941

"I told Stark, this isn't gonna work!" She said, pulling Bucky into the Stark expose.

"It's going to be okay.." He said, wrapping his arm around her as they walked into the expo.

"He thinks the car will fly!" She laughed, waving her arm in the air.

"My god will I miss you.." He softly sighed, looking down to her.

The plan was to get married in May 1940, although three months after the proposal, war broke out. Although at first America wasn't involved in the war, the act by the Japanese on Pearl Harbour had gotten them involved. 

Bucky was set on not going off to war, he was committed to staying with his girl in the city. She wasn't going anywhere either, Howard needed her help in New York, on the weapons side of things.

It was his last night with her for who knows how long. They were told that the war would be over by Christmas, although that was two years ago so somethings aren't true. She hoped that once Christmas of this year came along, her fiancé would be back in her arms once more.

She had come up with the idea of holding the wedding off. She wanted everyone one to be there, he brother was currently away in London and due to the Germanys shooting down every boat and aircraft they saw, he wouldn't be able to come. Both of her parents wouldn't be in attendance, they simply weren't around anymore and so her brother being there, was important to her.

"We could run, you wouldn't have to join the fight.." She said, attempting to help him stay.

"I believe that is illegal darling, although I appreciate the want for me to stay.." He smiled.

"I do say, you look very handsome in that uniform.." She said, hitting the top of his hat and laughing.

"I know I do.." He laughed, removing his hat to place on her head.

"Your hairs all messed up!" He laughed, stopping him in his tracks to fix it.

With his sergeants hat still on her head, a hat that was too big to fit her, she was mid done with his hair when he kissed her. She was taken a bit by surprise as her hairs were still in his hair and the kiss had cause her to mess up her work.

"I love you, and I can't wait for this war to be over.." He laughed as she gave him his hat back.

"I love you too, you better win this for me.." She said, starting the walk once again.

"I'd move mountains for you.." He smiled as they took their spot in the crowd.

They were stood in the crowd, awaiting Howard to make his entrance. He had the works, showgirls, that car centre stage. She knew this wasn't going to work, she had made this point to Howard a thousand times but he was convinced in his 'god like' abilities.

In the end, he had used his wits to save the embarrassment of a failed experiment, something in which she could have prevented if she was listen too. 

"You see!" She yelled once the care dropped on the stage.

"I believed you!" He laughed back, wrapping his arm around her.

After the little show Howard had out on, the crowds had cleared out. Among them, the girl and her soldier had headed to their little apartment for a final night, their final night.