18

It definitely felt like more than just three days once she opened her eyes.

When they opened, she saw a desperate man who she knew all too well smiling down on her through tears.

"Sofia.." He whispered, voice breaking in the process.

"Bucky.." She muttered, her voice still not working after being out of action for so long.

With her words confirming that she was alive, the only thing she would do was hug her tightly. She was still confused at what was happening, why was Bucky here?

Of course the last thing she remembered was him off at war, not here in her lab. Something more had happened.

When she pulled away from the hug, she first noticed his hair. Longer, shaggier than she knew it once to be. The Bucky she knew took great pride in being well groomed, he wouldn't let it grow to such a length.

The next shock in which she received came from the chill of his left had. When she looked down to it, he pulled it away, as if he was shameful of what it was. She quietly reached for it back, that's when she discovered it was not what it once was.

It was silver, made of some sort of metal. In a curious manner she'd rolled up his sleeve to discover the entirety of the arm, all the way to his shoulder, was the same metal. It was almost complete shock to her when she saw it, her mind booming with questions.

He looked upset that she had to see it, it wasn't something he had to be ashamed of in her eyes. To prove it was okay to her, he ran her had up and down it, noticing the indentation and smiling to him. It was probably the first time he had felt comfort in having that attached to himself.

When Sofia looked around, she discovered they weren't alone. The room was recognizable, it was her work space. Although the two brown haired men were not known to her, they were strangers. Then she noticed Steve who was also in tears, she gave him a soft smile before turning back to Bucky who was now smiling more than she had ever seen.

He brushed the hair out of her face, she leaned into his had and instantly felt at home. But even theses feelings that everything was right, can raise questions.

"Buck, what happened?" She asked him softly, realizing her throat is didn't hurt as much anymore and talking was comfortable.

"Too much darling, too much.." He muttered, leaning his forehead against hers, tears returning to his eyes.

After a few moments, Steve whispered to Tony that he was going to take Bucky and Sofia back to the tower. The scientists opting to stay and look through some new things they had discovered in the lab.

Walking after being frozen for so long did prove to be quite the challenge, so instead Bucky decided to carry her to the car. He wrapped the blanket around her and lifted her gently into the seat beside him. She rested her head on his lap in the back seat, Steve taking the wheel and driving them back through the city to get home.

She noticed little things as they drove, starting with the vehicle itself. Never had she seen someone ride along in something. The next thing was the city. The lights, signs, people. It all just looked peculiar. The clothing was the other thing. Most women were in these tight blue things as trousers, instead of the long skirts she found to be the norm. They were in a tight material, not a fabric but something else.

When Bucky carried her out of the car, the massive building caught her completely off guard.

"Darling walk backwards.." She said still in his arms, just as they were to walk through the door.

"Alright?" He said with confusion.

It was nothing like she had seen before. Tall, but part of it was sticking out and looked like something could possibly land on it. It had a glowing letter on it, the letter 'A', she was unaware of what that meant as well.

She chose to try walk into the building, hopping in an advanced elevator, well more advanced than she had ever seen. Steve said he would wait for the next one and allowed us to ride up to the floor that Bucky said his room was on.

Immediately upon entering his bedroom , Bucky was throwing his clothes in his wardrobe in a sloppy attempt to clean his mess. She picked up an item of clothing she found. She studied it in her had for a moment, a heavy jumper like thing with a hood. It was a grey color and Bucky turned to her and noticed what she was doing.

"That's a hoodies, you can have it if you like, dear.." He said, making his bed to the best of his ability.

"Bucky what year is it.." She asked, realizing there is absolutely no way this is 1940 anything.

Instead of answering the question, it was completely ignored.

"James when I ask you a serious question, I expect you to answer me." She sternly spoke.

"It's-" He paused for a moment, thinking of how this was news she didn't want to hear, "It's 2021.." He whispered.

Bucky swore he could physically see Sofia's heart break, she was crushed.

"I have been frozen in time for 76 years.." She mumbled, having to take a seat on his bed in the process. "How on earth are you and Steve here?!" She asked, looking up to him.

"Steve frozen, like you, well actually not like you. I well, I was taken by an organization that turned me into a weapon.." He said, fearing what she would think of him.

"What.."

It was a shock to her, he had been alone all this time and the more he explained, the more tears she produced. He didn't even know who she was, they took that from him. It made her go into rage, why would anyone do that.

"Where is Howard, I want a word with him.." She sternly said.

"He's gone.." Bucky spoke, sitting beside her to break even more bad new to her. "I killed him.."

Although it was heartbreaking, her soulmate murdering her best friend, she chose to look factually. He was forced to do this, he hadn't a choice in the matter.

If he was in his right mind, he would never had done such a thing. Never even dreamed of it.

She could see how upset he was to admit this to her, so instead she held him tightly. He began to cry on her shoulder, Sofia doing the same thing on hers.

They stayed like that for hours, crying and holding each other in silence. But they didn't  care, they had each other and that was all that mattered.