Epilogue

May weddings always appealed to Sofia. 

The golden sun, the dripping heat. It was as if the world had been saturated or dyed bright, bringing out its most beautiful features. It didn't matter if it was a clique to marry during this month, she was going to do it.

James Buchanan Barnes had proposed in the summer of 1939, and close to eighty years later, that promise could be honoured. Sofia Andrews was different now, and she knew it too. When she returned, the world was new. She had to learn how to live again, like a toddler be thought how to act. 

She still wasn't sure of many things, developments made in technology or what an NFT was other than a funny monkey picture. Modern medicine fascinated her and she spent nights investigating medical journals. While she couldn't figure out much on a modern phone, she mastered music applications and emersed herself in the top songs of every decade. Fashion confused her, especially that of celebrities.

But she was happy. In a way, she was even thankful.

"I hated you, you know that. They pulled me out of the ice and you know, I was confused. When I realised that I had been frozen for so long, I wanted to strangle you. But now, Howard, I want to thank you."

It took six months or so for Sofia to build up the courage to visit Howard Starks grave. In a way, he was her best friend. They were always there to support each other's wildest ideas and when Sofia begged to be frozen, he followed through on that support. Now, every week she found herself here. It felt right to update him on her life.

"I'm not going to lie to you Howard, your still aggravating even when dead. But, you should know, your son is twice as bad. I know I usually come on a Sunday but tomorrow, I'm getting married. May 23rd. I know you had a toast planned and all these other things and it hurts that you won't be there. Steve gonna walk me down the aisle and it's gonna be a quiet day," She bent her knees, meeting his engraved name with her eyes, "I miss you. I'm sorry too, for Buck. We don't talk about it, me and you. I don't wanna think about it. He comes up here sometimes too to clean you up and leave flowers. 

Howard, I wish you could be there tomorrow more than anything. I'll come back when I can, maybe bring some kids if Buck and I have any. I'll play you a song, how does 'Swinging on a Star' sound? You liked that one. I'll have a drink for you too, I honestly think you'd prefer that to a tune. I'll be back next week so, don't get in too much trouble while I'm gone."

As she rose up, Sofia waited till she had her back turned to him to shed a tear. She never let Howard see her cry and he respected that. The short walk through the rest of the deceased from her generation had a strange effect on her. It made her so grateful for the mistake the inventor had made.

One turn of a corner revealed her fiance leaning against his vintage Mustang, hands buried deep in his leather jacket pockets and his face appeared to be rapped with thought. 

"Something bothering you?" She revealed herself, her voice making him jump a little.

"It's nothing, how-"

"What's bothering you?" She pushed him.

"You come here every week to see him. Then you come home and face me. You know what I did, you know how I hurt him and you can still want to marry me?" He stepped forward towards her, his eyes fixed on hers with hurt beaming from them.

"You know I don't see you as that or anything remotely like that. You are not the Winter Soldier-"

"I am-"

"You are Sergent James Bucannan Barnes. An honest and loving man who strives to be more than what anyone thinks. That's who I see you as and who I will celebrate you as. That's why I'm marrying you, Buck, because I love you."

The doubt that had consumed him was fading as he looked down at her. She pulled him in for an embrace. She knew that he could overcome this, that this wasn't him.

"I love you too.." He whispered as he sobbed into her shoulder.

Heyy, I heard the demand for an official ending which I decided to give you. I think it gives both characters an ounce of closure. I know it's not a wedding but, I like this better.

- Jamie <3