16 - parting

I didn't make a sound, but I knew that he already noticed my presence. I sighed quietly and turned around to take my leave, but he interrupted my exit. I put away the arm he had lied upon my shoulder, my back facing him. "You don't have to like me, but at least respect me. You don't even have to talk to me." No answer. "Do it like you're doing now. Just listen. I'll leave now." "No wait." Finally I turned my head. His gaze was fixated on the grass beneath us. "Actually I was worried."

Now he had my full attention. "You are weak. And your body clearly couldn't handle the strength you've admitted back then. So I've decided. I will not take you on any missions anymore and the training is canceled." "What?" "You've heard me." "I don't understand.." Finally he looked at me. "Xiao.." his eyes were strangely filled with tears and his expression... was he worried? "Shut up." Immediately he looked a bit more serious than before, but the tears never stopped flowing.

I took him by his arm and pulled him to sit at the edge of the mountain. "I understand that you are worried, but I'll be fine. The universe won't challenge me with things I can't handle! And as you said, I'm weak.. I know I am.. but if I don't continue to train I won't be able to improve and I'll stay like this. It's okay if you don't want to continue to train me, but I'll do it myself then." The atmosphere was tense and Xiao didn't let out a single sound.

A deep sigh escaped my mouth and I slowly stood up on my feet. "I guess I won't be seeing you around anymore then?" Silence. Xiao just looked straight ahead. I came up from behind him and hugged him tightly. "Thank you for taking care of me, I'll be on my own now. Farewell." Carefully I loosened my embrace and turned myself to leave him. But right as I turned two arms engulfed around me and tightly pressed themselves against my body. Tho as fast as I was hugged as fast he was gone. Xiao wasn't there anymore even though just a second ago he was still hugging me back.

Confused I walked myself back home.
Of course Zhongli already awaited for my arrival with a freshly brewed pot of tea. He motioned for me to sit down. Of course I did as he asked and got served a warm cup of tea by one of his maids. After taking a sip I glanced over to Zhongli. His gaze was serious like always, but somehow the vibe was different. He quickly sat up straight and started talking "My dear Tianshi, I have talked to lady Ningguang and she agreed to let you take a break and recover. I have also talked to boss and she is willing to let me stay here and take care of you in the condition that she visits you every few days." I nodded "Well it seems like they don't really need me anymore." "How come?" "The adeptus Xiao doesn't want me there anymore, I'm on my own now.." "you're not." Silence engulfed the room. But Zhongli continued his words "I'll be here. You can depend on me." My cheeks tinted in a slight pink tone "Thank you, if you ever need someone... I'll be by your side."