Chapter 21: Dark and Cold

As emilia swam through the dreadful hallways of this merpirate fortress, she felt the cold chilled wind make her shiver. She was only focused on the path ahead, only focused on finding the King, but the prince must of noticed her quivering because her came up beside her and put his arm around her shoulders. She could feel his breath on the side of her cheek as he whispered comfortingly, “I’m here./’ A blush filled her cheeks at his words

Suddenly there was a noise of someone moving in the hallway around the corner, and Emilia froze in place. She signaled to the others to halt and when she peered around the corner, she saw a merpirate guard!! “We have to sneak past him,” she mermured “We need to cause a distraction…” As she scanned the group she saw the glimmer in Marina’s eyes and she knew who to choose.

“Marina,, go distract the guard, and ummm…” Her emerald gaze gazed around and landed on Sirena “And sirena stay back here to make sure she doesn’t get hurt.”

“Again,” {rince added. 

Sirena nodded. “We’ll stay here while you and the prince go find the king.”

As Marina pulled up her slingshot, happily flouncing toward the guard, Emilia felt her fingers curl onto Princes.  They moved forward, in tandum, together as one entity of pure force and purpose.  Emilia knew the chill might return if she let go of him, when she let go of him, so she held on as tight as possible as they bolted down the hall.  And although she knew she should be focused, although everything was at stake she was just grateful to be with him...alone.  Since Amelia had left in a bratty jealous rage, she had finally been able to be with him, see him, hear him, feel him, touch him, smell his sweet cent. 

The fantasy was interrupted by a sharp expanse of crumbled paper on the floor that caught Emilia’s emerald gaze.  “Prince,” she instructed, “it’s...a letter.”  She picked it up and her breathing became ragged as she read who it was adressed to.  “Finn.” Prince growled, pearing at it from over her shoulder.  Emilia’s eyes instinctively darted away from the page, not wanting to relive that pain, but Prince;s voice was soft behind her. “Hey, it’s ok.  He’s not here now, he can’t hurt you.”  He paused.  “I...wouldn’t let him.” 

And so she let her eyes fall onto his writing.  It looked like orders, plans for him to capture her, betray her.  But what hurt even more was what was added.  Crossigns out and left over lead powder and circles.  Indecision!  He hadn’t wanted to betray her, he loved her, he-

“Look,” Prince growled deeply. “The next part of the letter shows where the king is being held.” Emilia gasped. “It’s a room in this keep1 It’s…” She glanced around rapidly, trying to find where the room could be “Oh my god, look, the room is right in front of us!! THe king is just past that door!”

Prince’s eyes widened, and she saw a deep hurt in his orbs, a small little opening into his soul that betrayed how much he missed his father. She put her hand on his shoulder and gave him a small smile to reassure him. He stared back down at the letter, seeming to shake off the pain of losing his father, and verbalized to emilia, “Look at this. It’s the merpirate plans for what to do next!” She leaned over to gaze upon the hastily scribbled plans. “It’s perfect!” She breathed. “This is what we need, we’ll rescue your father and take these plans back to Mariana and Sirena-”

She was interrupted by a meanacing hiss. She whipped around to face a merpirate guard!! It spoke in a harsh raspy tone, “Drop that letter. Or your precious king gets killed.” “No!” the Prince exhaled, his eyes narrowing “You will not touch him!!” “Oh I don’t needto touch him,” The merpirate phrased. “Just by pulling this lever, the king behind this door will be…” The guard laughed coldly. “...disposed of.”

“Dont!”  Emilia broke in to the silence like a knife.  “We have something you want.”  She pulled out the letter and held it above her.  The Prince glanced at her nervously, seeming to speak with his eyes that they couldn’t lose that!  It was all they needed to know!  “I suggest a trade!”  she spoke desperately but hid it with an air of calculated cruel coldness.  “We can destroy it, or we can trade it for the king.”  She added a wink and smirked at him. “Your choice.”  

“The chossssen one, a blackmailer?” the merpirate hissed, in disbelief!  “Perhaps you aren’t asssss pure of heart assssss the prophecy makes you out to be.”  He then laughed once more, this time in concordance with them.  “Fine.  Give me the letter and you can ssseeeeee your king.”

Emilia straightened up bravely and handed him the litter. “Go ahead…” he seethed, yellow eyes locked on the prince as they passed. “...your majesty.” The giant doors to the next room opened before them, and Emilia watched Prince rush in recklessly to find his father. But then, she gasped at the sight! There was a body on the floor… could it be???

She swam closer slowly, afraid to set her eyes on it, but it was teh king, lying dead on the cold stone, murdered in cold blood. She glanced up at Prince, his eyes were watering as he stared at his father’s body. Before they could react, there was a slam behind them, and Emilia spun around abruptly to see that the doors had shut behind them!! She gasped. They were trapped!

A/N: What do you think will happen now that they’re trapped?? Did you guess that the king would already be dead?! Sorry to leave you guys on a cliffhanger but I’m a writer so I have to >:)