Chapter 1: Destiny

Emilia stood on the shore alone. The sunset was pink as it washed over her flowing blonde hair. She walked ankle-deep into the water, relieved to feel the cool, refreshing water. The ocean was always a much needed break from her ordinary life on land. She felt something touch her foot! She flinched. It was a spiral seashell. She picked it up and a cute little crab was in it.

The crab looked up at her with big, shiny, golden eyes. "My name is Kyle. My lady, this is for you." It spoke in a high, squeaky voice as it stretched out a ring to her slender hand.

She put the ring on, and it started to glow. She felt something happening. Something was changing! Before she realized it she was in the water and she had a mermaid tail. She gasped. It was a shiny, blue-green color with a large fanning tail fin. "Kyll! How did you know I always wanted to be a mermaid?!!!"

"I knew because you are the chosen one." He watched her eyes. They were happy. She looked alive for the first time in perhaphs her whole life. "Mu lady, I can't believe I have finally found you! I-I thought we wouldn't be able to find you in time for-" He covered his tiny mouth with his claw before he could say another word.

Emilia narrowed her emerald eyes at him. "I know you're hiding something from me. It must be about my destiny as the chosen one. I'm goin to find out what it is." Determinedly, she swam off into the open sea, and even though whe had never swum here before, she felt as if she were being pulled in this direction.

Suddenly, she was stopped and it felt like she was suspended in time. She noticed that she had bumped into something. Was ot a wall? A cave? It felt smotth and soft to the touch. Slowly, it began to move and she realized it was alive. She rushed back in the cold sea, as a pair of shining, ocean blue eyes stared back at hdr. The next thing to come was a low, growling, voice.

"Who are you?" The voiced growled at her.

"Me? M-My name i-is E-Em-Emilia," she stammered.

"You dare ask me who I am?" His eyes leered at her and his form appeared out of the icy shadows of the ocean. His tail matched his shockingly blue eyes. He looked like a giant. He was at least two feet taller than any man she had known back on land, yet his hair was neatly swept over his forehead, making him more attractive than anyone she had ever seen. Even though there was no sunlight here, his eyes seemed to glow with the passion of a thousand stars.

"Well, I-I don't know who you a-are." Emilia looked around. Kyule was nowhere to be found. Suddenly she felt so much more alone and nervous about this new ocean world she had discovered. MAybe she should have stayed at home with her father after all.

He scoffed at hr. "Well, you should!" He seemed to enjoy the attention, even if it was in a negative light. His rougeish form drank in the light of the ocean and glistened in its warmth. "Ugh, I don't have time for this!" He whipped his tail around and his form started to descend once again t=into the inky darkness of the lonely sea.

"You don't have time for the chosen one?" She finally spoke without stammering. Her voice sounded much stronger than it had ever been before. she smirked when she saw the mysterious staranger turning around.

For the first time, there was an uneasyness in his gaze. Then, as if he had never changed, he snapped back to his orginal state. "You?" he growled, "The one who couldn't even speak a full sentenve to me?!!!!" Then he began to laugh. It was sickening.

She felt a hollow in her stomach. Maybe she wasn't the chosen one. Where had Kylie gone? Had he abandoned her? Maybe he lied. "Well," she retorted, basnishing the doubts from her mind, "you'll see when I fulfil my destiny."

"Ha! Sure, you will! You're as mmuch as the chosen one as I am your mate!" He scoffed at her, and then proceeded to swim close enough to her that their faces were only inches apart. "When you're lost in the open sea next time, don't come crying to me, chosen one." He mpckingly bowed, and then swam away.

Suddenly, Kyke was back at her side. Emilia looked at him an tried to blink away the tears that were froming in her eyes. "Kyyle! What do I do! I don't know where to go now!"

"My lady, you felt something pulling you that way before, ddint you?" he said, pointing with his tiny claw. "You should always follow your heart, even when you are scared and when you feel alone. Even when it seems tlike there is nowhere left for you to go, you must believe in yourself and your own ability to brave your worst fears. The ocean is big, and dark, but you were born for the ocean. It's clear that you're the chosen one to turn into a mermaid and brave the waters above anyone else. You have to follow your dreams and go where you feel you must. Be couragious."

She felt the words of Kayak invigoratee her. Yes, she was the chosen one, and she would find out what her destiny was in this new world! She felt the tears on her face float away in the deep sea, and once again felt for the pull. Her body seemed to scream for her to follow its command. It pointed her in the direction the merman had left.

"Well, I guess it's time for the chosen one to start her journey." She smirked at Kylee and placed him in her palms. She then bolted off into her new journey, face first, the water rushing gratefully behind her.