Chapter 5: Lost

"The mer-pirates are attacking! Emilia, swim for your life!" Marina screeched.

Emilia shot up and glanced around wildly. They were surrounded on all sides by vicious mer-pirates! She had never seen them up close before, and there looked horrid. They had swampy green hair and gray skin with piercing yellow eyes and fangs that glinted in the light. They all made grusome hissing sounds and flashed their claws when they saw Emilia. "Give us the girl!!" they demanded.

The prince drew his sword and glared up at them defiantly and yelled, "Never!" Marina shouted, "You'll have to get through us first!!!!" and pulled out a slingshot. A mer-pirate hissed at her and lunged, only for his face to be met with a pebble shot from Marina's slingshot. Marina flicked her tail in joy, "YES! I did it!" She started doing a victory dance. "Aren't I amazing?!" She shouted to the prince. "Don't. Get. Cocky." he growled through gritted teeth, but it was too late. Marina had been hit from behind and a mer-pirate was holding her.

"Sister!" Finn shouted desperately, fear in his voice. Emilia glanced at him, and their eyes once again met. She game him a reassuring grin and nodded. She ran at the mer-pirate holding Marina, and ducked under his sword swings. As she was ducking, she noticed a large, spiral seashell on the ground. She dove down and quickly picked it up, as she felt the current of the pirate's swishing sword above her. They were locked in a battle of duck and strike until Emilia was backed against the geyser. She quickly swam around the geyser and pushed the shell against it, redirecting the water into the mer-pirate's face. He gasped as the powerful, hot jet of water knocked him to the ground. Emilia smirked and muttered to herself. "Huh, fire" and she thought briefly of Finn.

She got thrown back into the battle by a scream. Emilia started to rush to Finn's side to protect him, but felt a sharp pain to her head from behind. She fell, and hit the ground, as the mer-pirate who had hit her, swerved in front. She felt his slimy, scaly, hand touch hers, and slide off the ring.

"No-" she started to shout but her voice only came out as a bubble. She quickly clasped her hands over her mouth to stop herself from gasping and inhaling water into her now-human lunges. She didn't have time to explain to the others. She had to get to the surface. Now.

She swam upward, kicking her legs wildly to propelle her self to the surface and to throw off the mer-pirates who were clawing at her retreating legs. When her head finally got above the water, she gasped and coughed. She looked around. She had finally lost them, but it was dark and she was out in the open sea. Luckily, she had always been a strong swimmer, and since she looked at the sky so much during her childhood, she knew how to navigate using the stars. She made her way back to the shore, back to the only home she had ever known, no matter how terrible it was.

**********TimeskiP**********

Emilia creaked the door open to her house. She started to run up the stairs, with her clothes dripping behind her but a voice stopped her cold. "Emilia! Get out here! Now!" Her eyes widened and their bright emerald color dimmed at the looming shadow or her father. She hurried into the living room where he was, and lowered her head, bracing for what was about to come. "Where were you for two days?! The school called telling me that you haven't been showing up for class either!" He bellowed, inching closer to her with every word. "I-I-I'm sorry father." Her voice squeaked. "I know I should've told you, but it was... important." He stared at her in disdain and scowled, "Important? IMPORTANT?!!!!!! YOU ARE SUCH A DISSAPOINTMENT COMPARED TO YOUR SISTER! You ought to be ashamed, Emilia. You know, you should've been the one to die instead of her! Get out of my sight!!!!!!!"

Emilia ran up the stairs as fast as she could to her room. She sank into the bed and buried her face into her pillow to dampen her cries. Now everything was just like it had been before, as if none of her time in the mermaid kingdom had even happened at all. She was alone again, with no way of tgetting back to them, and now that the mer-pirates had stolen her ring, she wasn't sure if she ever would.