Chapter 24: What Mattered Most

“Are we there yet?” Marina inquired energetically, Prince let out an enourmous sigh and growled, “It’s the 50th time you’ve asked that and I can FINALLY say yes.”

EMilia swam up to the entrance to the natural cavern. They had finally arrived at Sirena’s oasis, and she cast a glance back at the old mer-mage, who nodded to give her permission to enter. Emilia led the group inside and was met with a beautiful oasis where potion bottles covered the walls and purple mist coated the whole place in a magical aura.

“Come, Emilia,” Sirena vocalized. “I need your help securing the area to prepare for the coming battle.” emilia nodded dutifully “I’m glad I saw the merpirate plans… now we know they’ll attack at dawn.” She glanced around at the dark sea around her. “We have a few hours before they come.”

Sirena placed her palms within Emilia's and began to chant, while a gleaming violet force field slowly formed like flowing silk around them.  Then, willing her thoughts into the chosen one through their shared link, Sirena instructed "channel your healing powers into your palms Emilia……..they may be our only key to triumph tomorrow."

Emilia's eyes widened at first as the voice moved slowly through her thoughts. But it slowly became comforting and willed her hands to light up in a warm golden luminosity.  But only as it started, Em felt the magic dip and recede to only her fingers.  "Sirena," she started in her thoughts before going silent.  "Why-" she tried again, trying to unlock some of the rugged determination she had felt at Coldhamm Keep.  "Why did you call me Wmulia Tideborne?" the words came out all at once, like a faucet of her thoughts.  "Child," the magic in her palms surged as she released a breath she didn't know she had been holding.  "I'm sorry but I cannot tell you now, there isn't enough time." At this Sirena broke their connection and glided over to strengthen the forcefield.  "Soon, everything will be revealed," she encouraged, reaching over to place Emilia's hair behind her ear.  "But for now you must trust in yourself."

“Ok Sirena,” Emilia explained. Sirena fixed her gaze on Emilia’s, and green met green as the two mermaids locked eyes. “One more thing, Emilia,” Sirena wanred: “We must take extra care to protect the forcefield around the center of the oasis, the source of my magic. I know you said that the merpirate’s plans were to destroy the source of my magic so I wouldn’t b e able to help you in the battle, but……. Remember, child… If this source is destroyed, then your magical energy will be taken with it!”

Emilia 

“But why?” Emilia queried, tipping her head questioningly. “It’s the source of your magic, not mine, so how-” “Because,” Sirena replied crypticly… “It is tied to your mother’s magic.” “WHAT?!!” Emilia gaspe. “But- But how did you know my mother?” “Hush,  child”

Sirena went back to strengthenging her forcefield, her eyes narrowing in concentration. “You’ll find out soon enough . For now, we must focus on preparing for battle.”

"Keep fortifying the base!" Prince bellowed with an air of confidence as he and Marina pushed a massive boulder to the front of the keep.  He was focused but for a moment, he let his orbs steal a glimpse at Emilia.  She smirked at him, tipping her head in a sort of i know you want me but get back to work gesture.  At that Prince winked and swam over to meet Emilia, and put his arm around her.  "What do you need help from the chosen one already?" Emilia laughed sarcastically, "And here I thought my lover was strong…"  "My will IS strong, which is why I came over here to ask you why you were staring longingly at me" he smirked letting his hair fall into his eyes so Emilia could fix it.  

"Look," his voice suddenly deepened, and his face grew cold.  "I just want you to know that, if I don't come back after today I-"  "you will." EMilia broke in, fixing her emerald gaze on his sad blue one.  "I made a promise to myself, not to let anyone get hurt…" a rose filled her cheeks, "and...I know you can protect yourself." 

Emilia’s heart warmed when she saw the Prince’s gaze soften at her words. He was finally letting his walls down and opening up to the love of another. They were only inches apart, and she could feel his presance beckoning towards her. Prince placed his hand gentle on her cheek and leaned in. She closed her eyes, waiting for the sweet brush of his lips, when suddenly: The illusion snapped like glass!

“Emilia!” a voice shrieked. “THEY’RE HERE!”

Emilia and Prince whipped around to see the merpirates pouring into the oasis from the night-dark ocean. They had caught them by surprise, attacking even earlier than dawn! They weren’t ready yet! With a wild glance at Sirena’s forcefield, which wasn’t fullys trengthened yet, Emilia narrowed her emerald gaze. She was ready to fight for what mattered most.