1. Graduation Day

I'm town scum

I'm town scum.

Despised.

In the three months since my brother's arrest, I've been harassed, abused and beaten. I'm guilty by association. Sister of a murderer.

A no-good Gallagher.

"Helena?" whispers Mom, her feather-light breath a mixture of both exhaustion and deep despair.

I pause Netflix and turn my attention to the crack in my bedroom door.

"How did it go?" she asks, scuttling in.

She's still in yesterday's clothes, hair unbrushed.

"Good." I smile. "I got Marie to take pictures like you asked."

She grins, and it's sincere. The first smile I've seen on her in three months. "How is she?"

"Good," I inform. "She left early. Her flight was an hour ago."

A month in the Alps with minimal cell service and an endless supply of skiing is exactly what she deserves after bagging herself a place at Harvard.

"We should celebrate. It's not every day you graduate high school."

"Mom, no," I insist, pulling on her arm so that she has no choice but to sit next to me on my bed. "You're not up to it."

"Just something small," she pleads, eyes glossing over. "Please?"

"Fine," I relent. "I'll see if Elliot's free."

"And Celia?" she suggests.

I smile. Since learning of Elliot and Celia's horrific past, Mom has made it her mission to mother them. To love them.

Helena:
Mom's insisting on a
graduation celebration.
Bring Celia, too. <3

Elliot:
When do you
want us?

Helena:
Now.
MISS YOU!!

Elliot:
Be right there.
<33333

"I saw Shaun today."

Her revelation falls on deaf ears.

"He misses you."

I refrain from telling her what I really feel. That, had that been true, he wouldn't have tried to kill me.

"Should we make nachos?" I ask. "Jason and Chloe will be here soon."

"Oh—are they coming?"

I nod.

"I better run a brush through my hair, then."

Before she has the chance to leave, I take hold of her body and force her into a hug. A hug I hope speaks volumes.