30. Forest Secrets

Elliot and I reluctantly push through the front door, still reeling from our discovery earlier

Elliot and I reluctantly push through the front door, still reeling from our discovery earlier. Simon Fullerman being dead not only disregards our theory, it blows the entire investigation wide open. Sarah having a similar cause of death raises suspicion and with Harry called out on a job across town, it's up to Elliot and I to figure it out.

"You hungry?" I ask, assuming he must be, seeing as we skipped lunch.

"I could eat," he replies.

We head towards the kitchen and stop short upon seeing Mom seated at the table; head buried between her hands. Her shoulders slump as a wicked tremor works it way through her body and what looks to be an abandoned cup of coffee sits in front of her. That, alongside something I never thought would see the light of day beyond my bedroom. The murder board.

Shit!

"Mom?"

"What is this?" she questions.

She finally lifts her gaze, looking straight at us.

"Clues," I explain, unable to move from my position by the door.

"Why do you have it?"

"We know," warns Elliot.

"Know what?"

He produces the Polaroid and places it in front of her.

"About Simon Fullerman."

She immediately closes her eyes, haunted by that name.

"We found this photograph in Sarah's bedroom and cross-referenced his face with an old yearbook."

She remains silent as she moves from her chair to inspect the inside of our kitchen drawer. There, she pulls out a ring binder.

"What's that?" I ask.

"My own clues."

I smirk.

"Sarah was my best friend. I couldn't let her murderer get away with it."

She deposits the folder and picks up the old image, smiling at such fond memories.

"They look happy," offers Elliot.

"They were," she insists. "Very happy."

"What happened?" he asks. "The coroner's report said suicide—"

"It wasn't suicide," she insists, adamant about the fact.

Elliot and I share a glance.

"We figured," I admit. "Who in their right mind would kill themselves using Cyanide?"

She raises her eyebrows, shocked we're in possession of such knowledge.

"The coroner's report said so," explains Elliot. "And it can't be a coincidence. Whoever killed Simon, killed Sarah."