15. Alibi

Mom puts a steaming hot mug down in front of Harry, alongside a chocolate chip cookie

Mom puts a steaming hot mug down in front of Harry, alongside a chocolate chip cookie. I side-eye her as she moves to sit on the chair opposite, appreciating her method of manipulation. She never offers cookies to strangers. Ever.

"Why were you and Chloe at Sarah's today?" he asks.

I stumble for an answer. "You know?"

"Of course I know," he insists. "Don't you think Fraser and Blunt have eyes on that place twenty-four seven?"

Realisation hits me like a tonne of bricks. There's millions of dollars stored away in that basement. No way are they going to let it go unsupervised.

"So, you know about the drugs?" I ask.

"Yes" He glances at Mom. "As far as they're concerned, I'm a partner."

What?

"You?"

He sighs. "Yes."

"I don't understand. Can't you just arrest them?"

"It's bigger than that," he retorts.

I fail to see how.

"They're dangerous, Helena. And right now, you and Chloe are on their radar."

"Should we be concerned?" worries Mom.

"No," he insists. "I threw them off by saying they were there to grab some things for Celia. Luckily, you walked out with a stuffed bear."

Who knew doing so would end up saving our lives.

"I'm not who you think I am," he offers after a moment of silence.

Mom and I share a look, a little on edge.

"I'm not a detective."

My head spins, endless with possibilities. If he's not a detective, who the hell is he? And what is he doing here?

"I'm with the FBI. Malcolm and I have been working undercover."

"Wait!" I plead. "So, he's not really your fiancé?"

"He is my fiancé. That part is true at least."

"Why?" asks Mom, interrupting. "What does the FBI possibly want from a town like Oak Valley?"

"After the Truth or Death murders, Oak Valley's precinct was flagged. There wasn't enough evidence to arrest those involved with Zoe and we weren't sure just how many officers were corrupt."

Mom sips from her tea, slowly processing everything.

"It's bigger than we thought." He sighs. "Half the police officers in there are sketchy. And I know it's frustrating because the longer we take, the longer Elliot sits in jail. But if we arrest Fraser and Blunt now, there's a chance the others will get wind of it and run. Carl, too."