23. The Reunion

We pull into the prison parking lot like a family arriving at Disney World

We pull into the prison parking lot like a family arriving at Disney World. Celia and I spring from our seats, leaving Mom to lock up.

"Hold on, you two!" she hollers, rushing to catch up.

The gravel crunches beneath my sneakers as I speed walk to the front entrance. Today is finally the day we get Elliot back, and I couldn't be more excited. The others are at home preparing his surprise welcome home party and as much as I feel like celebrating, I selfishly want him all to myself.

"Are we late?" asks Celia. "We're late. What if he already left?"

"We're not late," assures Mom, playfully nudging her hip. "Chill out, will you?"

Celia flickers her on the arm as we reach the main gates. There's a small door towards the left-hand side marked, 'exit only' and assuming that's where Elliot will come from, we quickly make our way towards it.

The sun sits high in the sky as we wait, brutal. I had this entire moment planned. I'd run into Elliot's arms and we'd kiss like two lovers reunited. Instead, I'm sweating like a pig.

Lucky Elliot!

"What's taking so long?" questions Celia, impatient.

A buzz sounds a second later, followed by the opening of the tiny door. Elliot steps out onto the gravel and instantly shields his eyes against the morning's brightness. Celia runs to him and leaps into his arms the second she's close enough.

"Jeez, Cee! Miss me?"

"You bet," she replies, littering his face with kisses.

The pair giggle as he slowly lowers her to the ground. His eyes then lock onto mine and as though pulled by a magnetic force, I go to him, sweat patches be damned.

"Oh, God!" he breathes, scooping me up. "I've fucking missed you."

My feet leave the ground as he continues to hold me, half squeezing me to death.

"I've missed you more," I say, pulling back to steal a kiss.

The moment his mouth is on mine, everything slots back into place. His rhythm, his taste. Everything about him is perfect.

"Get a room!" hollers Mom, interrupting our moment to get a piece of Elliot for herself.

She hugs him like a mother would her child and instantly reprimands him. "You're thinner. You need fed."

"Your famous lasagne ought to do it," he replies, kissing her cheek. "Don't tell anyone, but I've missed that the most."

She slaps him on the back. "It's nice to have you back, darling."

Celia links her arm through his, and I mirror her actions on the other side.

"Let's get out of here," she suggests, leading us back towards the car.