18. Between the Sheets

We finally settle Celia in the guest bedroom

We finally settle Celia in the guest bedroom. Dad and Dan offer to sleep downstairs where they can—and I quote—knock Carl out should he try to enter. With the FBI arriving tomorrow morning, we have resigned to the fact that Carl won't be found until then, and I refuse to leave Celia unsupervised.

"D'ya think we should testify?" she asks, both of us huddled beneath a blanket.

To our left, Chloe snores.

"Elliot and I."

"It's up to you," I reply.

She thinks it through for a moment, sighing afterwards. "It's silly. I know the whole drugs thing is enough to have him locked up, but I want him to go to jail for what he did to us."

"I don't think it's silly at all," I admit. "In fact, that's kinda how I feel about Shaun."

She tips her head to the side in question.

I explain, "I want him to be punished for killing Sienna. For aiding in Chad's murder. And I want him to be punished for trying to kill me."

She squeezes my hand, soundlessly conveying her love and support.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, no one can tell you what to do. Only you can decide."

"I just don't want people to look at me differently. I want to be strong. Respected. Not that poor girl who was sexually abused by her own dad."

"You are strong, Cee. And I respect the hell out of you!"

She laughs.

"The people who really matter—your friends and family—they already think that. Everyone else's opinion means jack shit."

"You're right. I shouldn't give a crap what people think!" she says, enthusiastic. "And for the record, practice what you preach."

Huh?

"I see the hurt in your eyes whenever someone calls you a murderer."

Busted!

"You're an amazing person, Helena. Shaun's actions don't change that."

"You're right," I offer. "And very wise."

She winks and straight after, yawns.

"Get some sleep," I advise.

We both lie down and after five minutes, it's clear sleep is an impossible task. My mind is alive with thoughts and although exhausted, it feels wrong to sleep at a time like this.

Buzz!

My phone vibrates against the nightstand with an incoming call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, gorgeous."

Oh my God!

"Elliot!"