25. Secret Lovers

Elliot and I arrive at the station in search of Harry

Elliot and I arrive at the station in search of Harry. Jones is nowhere in sight for once, and I silently wonder if he was one of the seven recently fired.

"I knew it wouldn't take long until you showed," remarks Harry, smirking. "Malcolm owes me five dollars."

"You know me so well."

He gestures behind us. "Close the door."

I kick it shut with my foot.

"Nice to see you out and about, Elliot. Enjoying freedom?"

"Definitely, sir."

Harry smiles, impressed by his manners.

"What can I do for you both?" he asks.

"Sarah's killer," I state. "We want in."

"I had a feeling you'd say that."

"So, where do we start?" questions Elliot.

"Well, can you think of anything she might've said in the past that could point us towards someone?"

Elliot thinks long and hard. "Not really."

"Mom mentioned an ex boyfriend," I reveal. "They dated in high school."

"That was almost twenty years ago," he offers.

"Yeah—but Mom said she lost him. I got the feeling it was complicated. Messy."

"D'ya have a name?"

I shake my head.

"Could you ask your mom?"

Elliot and I share a glance.

"No. I don't want to involve her."

Harry nods, respecting my decision.

"There is another way we could find out," suggests Elliot, still stood by the door. "Sarah kept things. Sentimental things. In the house."

"It's a crime scene," I inform. "We'll never be granted access with the FBI swarming the place."

"Please, that won't be a problem," states Harry.

"Really?"

He shrugs. "You need clothes, right?"

Elliot nods.

"That settles it then." Harry stands, as if ready to get going. "Lets go pack you a bag."

****

When we arrive at the house, there are two police officers I don't recognise standing guard. They see Harry approaching and smile.

"Sir, everythin' okay?"

"Everything's fine. Just bringing Elliot over to pack up some things."

I notice they're wearing a police uniform and, therefore, conclude they're not with the FBI. Harry must notice me staring because as soon as we enter the house, he explains.