Quidditch

Rosabella's Point of View:

As we entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Harry would be playing in his first match after weeks of training. Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, we would move up into second place in the house championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Harry play because Wood had decided that, as Gryffindors secret weapon, Harry should be kept, well, secret. But the news that he was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow.

Hermione and I helped Harry get through the all our homework because, what with all the last-minute Quidditch practices Wood was making them do. I  also lent Harry Quidditch Through the Ages, which would tell him all the finer details of Quidditch.

Hermione had become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Harry and Ron had saved us from the mountain troll, and she was much nicer for it. The day before Harry's first Quidditch match the four of us were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and she had conjured us up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. I noticed at once that Snape was limping. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I moved closer together to block the fire from view. We were sure it wouldn't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about the other three's guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell us off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?" Snape sneered.

It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school. Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." Snape said with a smirk.

"He's just made that rule up." Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away.

"Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" I asked suspiciously.

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him." Ron said bitterly.

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Hermione, Ron and I sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking Ron's Charms homework, while I checked Harry's. Hermione would never let them copy ("How will you learn?"), but by asking ùs to read it through, they got the right answers anyway.

Harry seemed restless. Getting up, he told Ron, Hermione and I that he was going to ask Snape if he could have Quidditch Through The Ages back.

"Better you than me." We all said together.

"Try and ask him with other teachers around. It would be harder for him to come up with a believable excuse as to why you can't have it back." I suggested.
Harry then left.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined us.

"What's the matter?" I said, noticing Harry's expression.

In a low whisper, Harry told us what he'd seen. Snape had been bitten by the three headed dog.

"You know what this means? He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him - he's after whatever it's guarding!And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!" Harry finished breathlessly.

Hermione's eyes were wide.

"No - he wouldn't. I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe." Hermione said.

"Hermione, you think all teachers are saints." I pointed out.

"I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?" Ron said.