Nicolas Flamel

Rosabella's Point of View:

Hermione, my brothers and I came back the day before term started. I didn't have a chance to tell them I found out who Flamel was. Harry was telling us about the Invisibility Cloak he got for Christmas.

"You got a what?" I exclaimed, in awe.

And then he moved onto the mirror he found and what it showed him.

Hermione was torn between horror at the idea of Harry being out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row ("If Filch had caught you!"), and disappointment that he hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.

"That's fine. I know who he is. Uncle Remus told me." I said.

"Who is he?" The trio exclaimed, eagerly.

"He's an alchemist and an old friend of Dumbledore's. I also know what Fluffy's guarding. It's the Philosophers Stone. Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of it." I said quickly.

Hermione gasped and dashed up to our dormitory.

Harry, Ron and I stared after her.

". . .okay. . ." I said as I stared after Hermione.

"So, what's the Philosophers Stone?" Harry asked eagerly.

"Basically, it's this Stone that can turn any metal into pure gold and it makes the —" I started to explain but Hermione came back with an enormous old book in her arms.

"I never thought to look in here! I got this out of the library weeks ago for a bit of light reading." Hermione whispered excitedly.

"Light ?" Ron said, but Hermione told him to be quiet until she'd looked something up, and started flicking frantically through the pages, muttering to herself.

At last she found what she was looking for.

"I knew it! I knew it!"

"Are we allowed to speak yet?" Ron said grumpily.

Hermione ignored him.

"Nicolas Flamel, is the only known maker of the Philosophers Stone!" Hermione whispered dramatically.

This didn't have quite the effect she'd expected.

"Ro was just explaining what it was." Harry said.

"You don't you know what it is? Oh, honestly, don't you two read? Look - read that, there." Hermione said and she pushed the book toward them.

I leaned forward to read it too, just incase Remus left anything out.

The ancient study of alchemy is concerned with making the Philosophers Stone, a legendary substance with astonishing powers. The stone will transform any metal into pure gold. It also produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.
There have been many reports of the Philosophers Stone over the centuries, but the only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist and opera lover. Mr. Flamel, who celebrated his six hundred and sixty-fifth birthday last year, enjoys a quiet life in Devon with his wife, Perenelle (six hundred and fifty-eight).

"See? Ro's right! This has to be what the dog must be guarding, Flamel's Sorcerer's Stone! I bet he asked Dumbledore to keep it safe for him, because they're friends and he knew someone was after it, that's why he wanted the Stone moved out of Gringotts!" Hermione said urgently.

"A stone that makes gold and stops you from ever dying! No wonder Snape's after it! Anyone would want it." Harry said.

"And no wonder we couldn't find Flamel in that Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry." Ron said and I nodded in agreement.

"He's not exactly recent if he's six hundred and sixty-five, is he?" I said and the trio and I laughed, thrilled that we had finally solved the mystery.

Harry had a Quidditch practice pretty much every evening. Ron and Hermione were playing chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something Harry, Ron and I thought was very good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron when Harry sat down next to him, 

"I need to concen - " Ron said and then I caught sight of Harry's face.

"What's the matter with you? You look terrible." I said.