Through The Trap Door

Rosabella's Point of View:

I hate being born in June. Right in the middle of the exam period. Hermione had to drag me to the Charms Exam we had on my birthday. The days crept by, and there could be no doubt that Fluffy was still alive and well behind the locked door.

It was sweltering hot, especially in the large classroom where we did our written papers. We had been given special, new quills for the exams, which had been bewitched with an Anticheating spell.

We had practical exams as well. Professor Flitwick called us one by one into his class to see if we could make a pineapple tapdance across a desk. Professor McGonagall watched us turn a mouse into a snuffbox. Points were given for how pretty the snuffbox was, but taken away if it had whiskers. Snape made us all nervous, breathing down our necks while we tried to remember how to make a Forgetfulness potion. I barely noticed Snaoe and was tempted to trip him up as he was walking past. I didn't as I was determined to do well in potions just to annoy Snape.

Our very last exam was History of Magic. One hour of answering questions about batty old wizards who'd invented selfstirring cauldrons and we'd be free, free for a whole wonderful week until our exam results came out. When the ghost of Professor Binns told them to put down their quills and roll up their parchment, I cheered with the rest. Well, I did more then cheered. I basically danced on the tables causing the whole class to laugh hysterically. Seamus even joined me on dancing on the tables.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be. I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager." Hermione said as we joined the crowds flocking out onto the sunny grounds.

Hermione always liked to go through our exam papers afterward, but Ron said this made him feel ill, so we wandered down to the lake and flopped under a tree. The Weasley twins, Jason, Jacob and Lee Jordan were tickling the tentacles of a giant squid, which was basking in the warm shallows.

"No more studying." I sighed happily, stretching out on the grass.

"You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet." Ron said.

Harry was rubbing his forehead. His scar had been hurting a lot. I felt bad for him. Exams were bad enough as it was, nevermind when the scar on your forehead keeps burning.

"I wish I knew what this means! My scar keeps hurting - it's happened before, but never as often as this." Harry burst out angrily.

"Go to Madam Pomfrey." Hermione suggested.

"I'm not ill. I think it's a warning . . . it means danger's coming . . ." Harry said.
Ron couldn't get worked up, it was too hot.

"Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down." I said lazily.

Harry nodded, but he still seemed anxious. Harry was telling how he couldn't shake off a lurking feeling that there was something he'd forgotten to do, something important.

"That's just the exams. I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one." Hermione said.

Harry didn't seem convinced and still seemed quite unsettled. I watched an owl flutter toward the school across the bright blue sky, a note clamped in its mouth. Harry was staring at it to with a thoughtful expression.

Harry suddenly jumped to his feet.

"Where're you going?" Ron said sleepily.

"I've just thought of something. We've got to go and see Hagrid, now." Harry said and I noticed he had turned white.

I shot up to my feet and dragged a lazy  Ron with me.

"Why?" Hermione panted, as we hurryed to keep up with Harry.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd, that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?" Harry said, scrambling up the grassy slope.