Chapter 2: A Shallow Bond

05.02.21

New update!

Do you guys have any funny/embarrassing/good/bad dating stories? I'd love to read them 💐

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO LEAVE A VOTE BEFORE CONTINUING ❤❤

🏠🏠🏠

I thanked the driver and got out of the taxi. I went to the apartment building and swiped the entrance key. I climbed up the stairs to my apartment. I punched in the password that unlocked the door and stepped in, rubbing my shoes on the mat before hopping into the elevator.

I pressed the number 8 on the metal panel and let out a tired sigh as the doors closed in front of me, leaning my back against the wall while trying to fight the terrible headache banging at the back of my head. I checked my watch and frowned. 

2 a.m.

I was originally planning on standing at Will’s, or whatever the man’s name was, but having to spend another couple of hours next to his hairy body was a no go. I checked my phone to see if Jax had replied, disappointed by unsurprised that there were no new messages. 

DING.

The metal doors opened and I walked down the hall to my apartment door. I inserted the key into the keyhole, twisting it open. I removed my shoes and put on my pink bunny slippers (having grown up in an Asian household, wearing slippers were a must), flicking on the living room lights.

My eyes widened as I saw Jax sitting on the couch, one leg crossed over the other, reading a fashion magazine; one that he modeled for. His round reading glasses framed his indigo, blue eyes, magnifying the color of bright cornflowers. I’ve seen his eyes more than a million times, but they always took my breath away to this day. 

He had high cheekbones and nose that I was always jealous of, a well defined facial structure that looked like it belonged to a Greek god. His hair was a dark blond, a copper that looked as rich as gold. I anxiously pressed my lips together at his unexpected appearance.

What was he doing here? And what was he doing still awake? 

A thousand questions popped in my mind within seconds as I stared at him, and I felt both scared and relieved. 

I cleared my voice.

“Hi,” I croaked. “What are you doing here?”

He didn’t look up from his magazine.

"I live here.”

Gee, thanks a lot Sherlock, that sure clears everything up. 

“Where were you? You’ve been gone for a week,” I said as casually as I could, walking to the kitchen for a cup of cold water. I felt dehydrated, which was probably because of the alcohol, and I needed something to wash down the dryness in my throat.

“I was at my girlfriend’s place,” he replied, almost making me drop the water bottle I was trying to open. 

“Girlfriend?” I asked as enthusiastically as I could. Jax has been a lady’s man ever since high school, and the fact that he was so good looking always played to his advantage. With his face, it was easy for him to get girls, but his relationships never lasted longer than a few weeks, a few months at most. He jumped from one girl to another, and sometimes even dated multiple at once.

“So you have a new girlfriend?” I pried.

Jax looked up from the rim of his glasses with a smile pulling at the corner of his lips.