Chapter 15

Ivys POV

As we exited the car I smoothed out the skirt I had on below my coat, stepping to the side to allow my sister out of the vehicle. Of course daddy hadn't come with us, he seemed to be doing everything in his power to avoid spending to much time in the little town of Derry, well it was more like trying to avoid spending time with his daughters. "God, everything in this town is so old and weird" Aspen said, scrunching her nose as she looked up at the churches snow covered wooden steeple. Mom sighed as she stepped out of the drivers seat. "Well i thinks it just adorable!" She beamed.

"Come on girls, let's go" mom called as she hooked arms with Aspen and I, hurrying us through the front doors of the old looking church, almost slipping on a patch of ice that sat at the door. The dusty air inside of the building hit our noses as we entered, but I had to admit I was glad there was heating. "Geez, isn't this place a little creepy Mom?" Aspen questioned, taking a step closer as we headed down the narrow isle. "Aspen! Don't say that! This is a place of God" mom scolded, elbowing my twin in the side.

I noticed some familiar faces as we made our way through the building. The mail man, the owner of the local grocery store, even our neighbors. My eyes quickly fell upon someone I hadn't expected to see. The blonde boy who hung out with Reggie, I think his name was victor, was sitting in one of the pews next to his mother. His arms were crossed and he wore an agitated look on his once innocent looking face. It was strange to see him in church clothing, a hard contrast from his normal attire.

As he noticed us he quickly slouched down in his seat, turning his head away from us quickly as if he was embarrassed to be seen there. I waved anyway, earning a friendly smile and wave from his mother, but not him. "This looks like the perfect place" mother called, waving us over as she took a seat. I followed, grabbing aspens hand and pulling her along with me. The old pew creaked as we took a seat, the old wood had probably been there for decades.

Mom smiled happily, setting her purse gently at her feet. She nudged my with her arm and pointed at victor and his mother. "You know that boy?" She questioned, raising her eyebrows at me suggestively. I laughed at her childishness and nodded. "I've seen him around I guess" I replied. Aspen from the other side of my mother snorted in amusement. "Ya and he isn't the church type mom" she giggled, tossing me a knowing look behind mothers back.

"Oh don't be ridiculous! He's here isn't he?" She answered back, leaning forward in her seat to look over at where the boy and his mother sat, throwing the women at his side a scrunched face smile as she always did. His mother smiled back, seeming excited to have made a new Acquaintance. It was very obvious this town didn't Encounter many new comers. Aspen rolled here eyes. "Not willingly"

The creaking of the worn wooden steps up to the front of the church caught all of our attentions. A man probably around 40 made his way up to the podium, hands folded neatly in front of him. He grasped the edge of the stand in front of him smiling warmly, his pale blue eyes making there way over those of us who had gathered for his sermon. He was quiet for a while awaiting the silence of everyone in the building. Once an eery silence had fallen upon the room she clasped his hands together with a loud smack. "Good morning church. Let us pray."