Chapter 5

Ivys POV

The dinner table had now turned into a debate, not that that was abnormal in our house. Me and aspen had been telling mom about our day when of course dad had interrupted. "Ever thought about taking different classes? I mean you are together all the time, maybe a break from each other would be good for you" he had said as he cut up his steak. He was always suggesting that, he saw some stupid documentary about how twins can become to attached to each other and convinced himself that that would happen to his daughters.

"Leave them alone Charlie, there at a brand new school the last thing I want is to split them up" mom had snapped at him, a wineglass clutched in her perfectly manicured hand. He scowled at her, obviously not to happy with her reply. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something but quickly closed it. He knew better then to snap at mom in front of Aspen. "We don't need a break from each other," Aspen had piped in. "Maybe if you where nicer, people wouldn't need a break from you either" that's Aspen for you, never afraid to say what she thinks.

Everyone had angrily dispersed after finishing there food. Dad shut himself in the den and mom turned on her drama show in the living room, watching intently as she took long drags from her cigarette, a box of chocolates sitting next to her on the couch. Me and Aspen had gone upstairs, unpacking boxes as we began to decorate our room.

"You know when dad said we were moving because he got a raise, I assumed it would be to the city, not here" Aspen said as she set a large box of records on her bed, moving them from the storage compartment onto the bookshelf. She grabbed Bon Jovi out of the box and pulled it out of the sleeve, setting it gently onto her record player.  Carefully she dropped the needle on 'Livin' on a prayer' before pulling out the bag she had acquired from that kid Criss and shoving it into the bottom of the box for safe hiding.

"It's not so bad, I kind of like it" I replied, digging through my box, nodding my head to the beat as I went. She rolled her eyes. "You like everything". I laughed and pushed past old stuffed animals and folded teen magazines before getting to the paper wrapped picture frames at the bottom of the box. Ripping the brown paper off revealed a picture of me and Aspen around the age of 8.

We were standing side by side holding hands, our smiles missing teeth here and there. We were standing on a boat, our dads bosses boat to be exact. I could remember dad sitting us down and telling us if we acted badly during the ride that he would skin our hides. I turned setting the picture frame on my bed side table.

"Speaking of liking things, who's Reggie again?" Aspen said, setting her hand of her hip as she raised her eyebrows at me. "Reggie is a random boy who let me borrow a pen" I shot back, throwing a stuffed bear at her. She caught it and threw it back. "Well you seemed very friendly at the dump. Pardon me for wanting the gossip" she shrugged mockingly. I rolled my eyes, flipping her off.

I spent about an hour placing and replacing decorations around my side of the room, wanting it to be just right. The music played on until the very last song before the obnoxious noise told her to take the record off. Aspen collected the vinyl sliding it back into its case and setting it in the bookshelf with the other. I yawned stretching as I made my way over to my bed. Aspen flipped the light switch off. "Goodnight Ivy" she called from across the room, her sheets rustling as she tried to get comfortable. "Goodnight aspen"