Chapter 9

I almost pissed myself as I felt Ivy shake me awake. Mom had given me enough flu medication to sedate a bear and everything looked a bit fuzzy. Thankfully it had dulled my symptoms and relaxed me enough to sleep the day away. "Your never going to believe what happened at school, Aspen." She said, her voice filled with excitement as she kneeled next to my bed. I scooted myself towards her, my limbs felt heavy and awkward as I tried to move. "W-what happened" i questioned hoarsely as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Your never going to believe this. I was walking out to the parking lot and a random group of guys just walks up to me. They asked where you were and told me some dumb shit about them comparing us and I totally told them off Aspen." She said as she got up, walking over to our closet and grabbing a t-shirt. "What did you say to them?" I questioned, propping myself up on my elbows. She stopped at the end of my bed and looked at me as if she was about to say the craziest thing ever. "I called him a pig" she laughed.

Shocked, I looked around the room trying to figure out if she was joking or not. "You didn't" I retorted. She laughed again. "I did, but I'm not even to the good part yet. This prick finds it funny and grabbed me" she explained, pulling her shirt off and showing a red mark around her forearm. I gasped, now feeling horrible for not being there to defend her. Mom should have let her stay home with me. "I'm gonna fucking kill this kid Ivy, what the actual fuck"

She shook her head quickly and held a finger up. "There's still more. Reggie from history class showed up with his friends and they beat the living shit out of the guy. I felt like I was in a TV show" she said excitedly, pulling one of my oversized t-shirts over her head. "What the fuck" was all I could think to say. The one day I'm sick everything exciting has to happen.

"AND, Reggie invited us to a party on Saturday at his house." She was practically screaming at this point from sheer enthusiasm. I laughed and nodded, laying myself back down against my pillow, feeling to tired to hold myself up any longer. Ivy sighed, noticing how tired I seemed. She sat down on her own bed and started on her schoolwork. My eyes drifted shut, the fatigue from this mornings fever getting the best of me.

About an hour or two later I felt Ivy shake me awake once again. I cracked my eyes open to see her standing there holding a tray with a bowl on it. "Dinners ready. Mom made you chicken soup" she said happily, waiting for me to turn so she could set the tray down over my lap. Once she did so I smiled back at her weakly and told her to tell mom I said thanks. She nodded and headed back off down the stairs. She looked down at the bowl, the thought of eating anything made me want to gag, still nauseous from whatever sickness had taken me over that day. I picked up the tray setting it on my nightstand so that I could lay back down.

Sighing I snuggled against my pillow, finally feeling better for the first time in hours. A few more hours of sleep and I would feel just fine. Later that night I heard Ivy come back into the room. She picked up my untouched tray and took it downstairs before coming back to take her place in her bed. "Goodnight Aspen, I love you." she said quietly, obviously thinking I couldn't hear her. I smiled beneath my blankets, before sleep slowly took over my mind.