Make-Over

-------

--------

Sandra was oddly quiet the whole trip but Penny welcomed the silence as she thought things through. She felt a little bad for throwing the kiss in Zane's face because wasn't that what she had wanted? Him to find love? She had to accept that it couldn't be her anymore and there wasn't a damn thing she could do. She made small talk with Eddie and Gus about different things to take her mind off of the novella that her life had become.

Slowly the trees and bushes cleared and a village came into view. Penny craned her neck to see better when she saw several people standing by an entrance. The village appeared to have a fence made of wood all around. Zane called to them with a whoop and they returned it with their arms up. There was one figure that was smaller and had lighter hair. Penny squinted and before she could try to figure out who it might be, she saw Eddie take off running towards the people. She had never seen him run so fast. Her heart was racing as she picked up her pace. She saw Eddie reach the group of people and embrace the one person. It couldn't be....but it had to be Des. She renewed her efforts to get to them quickly and soon was jogging. She was aware of little else until she came to a stop in front of the group of people. Eddie was finally letting Des out of his embrace.

Her heart jumped into her throat as she saw her. Color had returned to her face, making her radiant. Her short blonde hair looked healthy and shiny compared to how dull it had been days before. She was still much thinner than she had been but in better health overall. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at Penny.

"Well, come on now and give me a hug. You know I've missed you somethin' fierce." Des told her with a smile.

Penny wasted no time going to her. They were both a crying mess by the end of it. Then Penny thanked the tribe members that were standing by Des. They looked confused and looked behind her. Zane's voice came from behind and Penny almost jumped. She had forgotten the audience behind her. Zane appeared to have translated what she said because the tribe members turned and smiled at her. One of them spoke. Of course no one but Zane understood. Penny watched with curiosity until they were done speaking.

"They are glad they could be of help to your friend." Zane's voice was low and near Penny's ear.

Then he straightened and spoke in a louder voice to them all.

"The tribe has invited us to stay awhile. Follow them and they will show you where to stay."

Zane went over to the tribe members and hugged each one then walked with them as they led the group into the village. Zane was like a celebrity here. The whole tribe came out to greet him. Some of the women wore clothes and some only wore skirts. The men mostly wore loincloths like Zane but some wore pants and shirts. Almost all the tribe members had on beads of different colors. Penny tried not to notice how he picked the children and played with them. Her heart constricted at the sight. He'd make a great father some day.

She tore herself out of her thoughts and stayed close to Des. Des linked her arm with Penny's and Eddie's. The tribe member that led them took them to a few huts that looked newly constructed. An older woman came out of one of the huts and appeared to be scolding Des. Although Penny couldn't understand, she knew a scolding when she saw one. Des put out a hand to placate her.

"Oh darn. I snuck away while she was taking a nap. I don't understand what she says but she hasn't let me go out very much. I think she wants me to rest more." Des explained with a sheepish smile.

Eddie gave her a stern look.

"I'm glad to see you up, love but she's right. You should lay down and rest more. I'll sit with you."