Pride and Principles

.

.

Her hand clumsily reached for the ringing phone as she rolled over in bed and squinted in the dark.

"Hello?" She mumbled.

"Good morning peanut. I'm sorry to call you so early but I wanted to remind you to give Mr. Connell a call and discuss the necessary event." Penny's mind cleared with the mention of Mr. Connell and her face showed her irritation.

"I understand why you felt obligated dad, but I still think there's another way. I will speak to him and I'll try to talk him out of it." She paused briefly and listened to her father agree. "I gotta go dad. My flight is in three days and I still have a lot to pack. I'll speak to Mr. Connell before then, ok? Of course I'll be careful. Love you too." She rushed in an excuse to get him off the phone and hung up.

She sighed in frustration. Her dad had recently confessed that for years their family business had been struggling to stay out of bankruptcy; even worse was that he had gone to Mr. Connell Sr. to save the company. She had firsthand knowledge of the Connell family because they ran in the same circle as her family. The wealthy. She had always lived a life of luxury as far back as she could remember but she never liked flaunting it or using it to her advantage. She also didn't like asking her father for money and tried to use as little as possible. Her father set great example for her of being a kind man with the wealth he had by contributing to local hospitals and helping to fund organizations to help those in need around the world.

She had spent many times helping those very organizations her father funded. The Connell's on the other hand loved reminding others less fortunate than them that they were superior. She had always known their son Greg had a crush on her and she gladly ignored it and him any time they saw each other. Yes he was an attractive man but he was also a silver spoon fed arrogant prick and too squeamish to suit her.

Penny had always been a tom boy and enjoyed the outdoors instead of being cooped inside. Not to mention her job took her traveling to amazing places and she knew someone like him could never fit in her life. She needed to speak to Mr. Connell Sr. and discuss what her father told her. Her father had shocked her a few weeks ago when he had told her he had taken Mr. Connell Sr.'s money in exchange that she marry Greg. A fucking arranged marriage. She wished her mom was still alive. Her mother had passed away during childbirth. She knew deep down inside her mother would never have agreed to an arranged marriage. She reluctantly got out of bed and went to her bathroom that was linked to her bedroom.

On her way there, she paused to take in the view of the early morning sun on the hills and forest. She had large vertical windows and a sliding glass door that allowed her to see outside. The beauty of the landscape and area had brought her here. She had bought her house a year ago and knew the moment she laid eyes on it, it was her home. Her father had his mansion in California and she had her ranch in Oregon. It was a little too big for just her with several unused bedrooms and 10 acres of land but she hoped she would one day settle down with someone and fill the house with a family. Plus she did have lots of company with all the animals she owned.

She made a mental note to call the house/animal sitter she hired while she undressed because she wanted to make sure everything was squared away before she left. She took a long look at herself in her mirror and the changes her body had undergone. With the new project she had been working on at her job for the past two years, she had barely had time to get outdoors to hike and exercise and the result was that her normally athletic body was now twenty pounds heavier. Her already generous breasts and butt had added weight too. Even with the extra weight she looked amazing. She had been told many times when she was a teenager that she was beautiful enough to go into modeling or acting but she had always shrugged it off with a laugh. She figured they were sucking up to her because of who her father was. She always had men doing a double take to stare at her 5'9" frame, long light brown hair, gray eyes, high cheek bones, straight nose, and full lips. She on the other hand couldn't get why anyone would like her for who she was and not for her money. She stuck her tongue out at her reflection and turned to get in the shower. She took a fast shower, got dressed quickly, put some mascara on, then made a few calls to get things in order. After she finished her errands, she called a good friend and colleague that she worked with.