Long Time Coming

"What are you doing in my hut?" She ground out.

She struggled against him until he let her go.

"Your hut? You mean our hut. The tribe does not have enough huts to spare. They paired us off in three huts." His eyes bore into her.

"Well, why aren't you with whats-her-face?" She blurted before she could hold her tongue.

His eyes glittered. She wasn't sure if it was amusement or anger.

"I think I know who you mean but the answer isn't so simple. First, will you allow me to explain what you saw that day in the forest?"

"No. It doesn't matter anymore-." She clamped her mouth shut with effort.

She had been so close to saying why. She fought within herself to keep her secrets locked in. His eyes burned with anger and hurt.

"It doesn't??" He asked incredulously.

She tried to stay silent but her mouth betrayed her and opened.

"No. It doesn't matter that I love you. It doesn't matter that I've had to hold in these feelings for months. It doesn't matter that I want to kiss you so badly while simultaneously wanting to punch you for kissing Sandra. None of it matters because Connell has ensured that I will be returned to him!" She finished her confession with a shout.

Zane's mouth was open in astonishment. Whether is was due to her declaration of love or that she had admitted the secret regarding Connell she wasn't sure. A deep blush appeared on her face. She realized belatedly that she had given up her two most dangerous secrets. She watched his expression with caution. He closed his mouth and moved closer.

"Please, Penelope. Let me right this wrong. To tell you what really happened. Then we can figure out what to do about Connell." He pleaded with her in a near whisper.

She swallowed. She should say no. She should walk away. Before he got hurt. Or her friends did. But her mouth seemed determined to dig her in a hole.

"Say what you must." She sighed.

She wearily made her way to sit on the bed.

Zane knelt in front of her.

"What you saw that morning was the doctor and I having a.....disagreement. She expressed that she wanted to be my mate but I was in the process of declining her when she tried to kiss me." He started.

Her damn mouth seemed to have a mind of it's own again as she interjected.

"Didn't look like you were resisting." She said moodily.

"Did you stay to see what happened?" He asked as he inched closer.

"No. It's true that I don't know what happened immediately after." She started then thought a moment. "Why would you be 'declining' her?" She frowned as she remembered his words.

"What happened immediately after was I separated from her quickly and told her that would never happen again because my heart belongs to another." His stare went up a notch in intensity.

Her mouth dried up and she sat up even straighter. He was in love with someone?? Who?

"Oh? And who is the lucky woman?" She was surprised at how nonchalant she sounded despite her heart picking up speed.

"It is I who would be so lucky if she will have me."

She looked at him bewildered and shook her head. Perhaps if her head wasn't feeling fuzzy from alcohol she'd be able to think clearly but instead she simply looked at him. With her breath held. He opened his mouth but the words that came out next were familiar.