Chapter 1

"Penny for your thoughts, Lisa?"

Lisa turns her head towards the source of the voice, when she sees who it came it from, she turns her attention back to the field that she's been staring at for God knows how long.

"You can't get any."

A scoff. "You have been staring at an empty field, your eyes are so distant.. what's bothering you, bud?"

Lisa senses the movements across her but refuses to turn her head once again. Too lazy, too drowned. "I'm good, Jongin. Seriously."

She may have not turn her full attention to the man across her, she knows he's frowning. "Doubt it."

Lisa didn't say anything anymore so Jongin didn't too. One of the things that Jongin learned from their friendship is to never push personal agenda when Lisa is this quiet. She'd share what she wants to share anyway when she's ready.

Must have been so weird to see Lisa and Jongin being labeled as friends, huh? So, how did their friendship start? Buckle up.

Jongin used to live in Thailand due to an exchange program he participated in his sophomore year in high school. Jongin literally had zero Thai words up in his sleeves so the moment he stepped foot in the campus, he could've sworn he cussed himself for being too spontaneous on his decisions.

He wanted challenge, he wanted something new, he wanted adventure so he immediately filed an application when the exchange program post was up. Lucky for him, he was approved by both universities and was shipped to Thailand a week before the fiscal year had started.

He transferred in an international school though but he knew he's going to encounter a language barrier anytime soon. And he actually did, too soon even, he got lost somewhere in between the high school and college boundary and couldn't even properly ask for direction because aside from Thai, his English vocabulary had failed him that moment.

He knew he's going to be late and almost gave up until Lisa showed up. Lisa talked to him in Korean and if Jongin could deep bow (knees to the ground) right then and there he would but people will surely look at him weirdly if he did that.

Since then, they became friends. Close friends even. Jongin's exchange program was just for a year but not wanting to leave the country and his closest friend just yet, he filed for a year extension. It was accepted almost right immediately though.

A little background.

Jongin is from a family of businessmen in Korea, not really the typical rich type of businessmen but the money could get them through on a daily basis with some extra cash to spend for their luxury. On top of that, he is happy. His family is complete and happy.

Lisa on the other hand has the exact opposite. Her father owns several chains of casinos not only in Thailand but all over Asia. Her mother is a real estate shareholder, not only in one but in several companies. But is Lisa happy? No.

Lisa grew up under the care of her Nanny — Faith. Her parents never attended any of her school's family day events, Faith did. Her parents never attended any of her competition events, Faith did. Her parents never took care of her when she's clumsy enough to get sick, Faith did. Her parents never attended any of her achievement ceremonies, Faith did.

When she was a young kid, she did all her best to be noticed by her parents. She broke someone's nose, almost turned someone bald, bullied someone because they were annoying her but she never got anything. Not even a single piece of advice, or scolding — she was that desperate to get their attention that even it's from a wrong deed, she'd risk it.