Chapter 1 - Armin

The seventh time.

It was the seventh time this week that I had come down here to talk to her. Although, how could I resist it? Something about her...just dragged me back here every time.

I sat down and sighed. I could feel a lump forming in my throat, a burning feeling in my eyes. I stared up. The crystal glistened in the slim ray of moonlight that came in from the wall. But that wasn't what I came down here to see. I came to see her.

As I stood up, I began to examine her. Her pale skin looked so perfect, her blonde hair, her ears, her uniform, her face, her lips...

I shook my head and sat back down. A tear rolled down my cheek. "Do you," I choked out, "do you ever feel like this?" I felt another tear stream down my face. She had remained expressionless, as always. "Why am I even here...it's not like the Survey Corps even needs me." I wiped my face with my hand. "I'm just so..." My face rested in my hands. "Useless."

"My whole life... I just wanted to be like Mikasa and Eren." I took a quaking breath. "But I just can't be like them. I'll never be good enough."

"Why," I could feel my face become redder, "why did they save me? Over Erwin? He could be here right now, helping everyone-" I was breathing quickly and heavily now. I stared at her, standing in the crystal. My breathing slowed. I could see the crack of moonlight transform into a stream of golden sunlight.

Holding out a shaky hand, I walked up to her immobilized body. Just for a second, staring at her, the world seemed to stop. And for a second, it felt as if we were the only two people on the Earth. And for once, it felt peaceful.

I held my hand out to her crystal and placed my palm on it. "Annie," I felt a weak smile form at the tips of my mouth. "Please just wake up. I know you can hear me." I felt my tears dry and stifled a laugh.

I could feel my heart beating in my throat as I heard high-pitched laughter coming from the hallway. I turned around to see a short silhouette of a person walking towards me. Hitch.

I gasp and put up my hands. "I was just curious-" I could barely form full sentences. What was wrong with me? "It-it was nothing inappropriate, I promise!" She looks at me with a knowing smile and laughs under her breath.

"Come on, we need you out here," she pulls my arm as I follow her into the corridor. I take one quick glance back at Annie.

I don't know why- or how, for that matter, but Annie can hear me. I just know she can.