Chapter 6 - Annie

Waking up, I just stared at him. Admiring everything about him. He looked so peaceful while he slept. And his singing... it was probably the best thing since I came out of the crystal. He's the only one that really gets me. And I think... I might be the only one that really understands him. He wasn't weak. Or useless. But he didn't even know that.

"Armi- Armin, wake up." I shook him. He groaned softly. "What... what time is it," I rolled my eyes. "Time for you to wake up, stupid." He laughed.

"Alright then..." we both got out of the bed. He was in a white shirt and blue plaid pajama pants. His golden hair was messy, his voice was hoarse. He was so... what's the word... cute.

"Oh, shit," he looked at me, rubbing his eyes. "You don't have any clothes," I just smiled at him, holding up my uniform. "I brought some," I looked down. "You know, last night."

His cheeks went red and I laughed. "I'll just... change over here." He looked at me in awe. "Oh- oh, yeah, of course." He turned around. "I'll just be in the bathroom."

We both came out in our training outfits. Although they were a little different, he was usually in the strategy and planning area whereas I was in the physical training section.

He scanned me, looking up and down. "You look pretty," his eyes glistened as he said that. I was flustered, but I didn't refuse the compliment. I've never been told that before, what do I even say?

"Oh, thank you," I could feel a blush forming on my cheeks, so I turned away. "We should get down for breakfast." He nodded in agreement.

As we walked down the hall, my hand in his, I didn't realize how natural our conversation was. I felt like every time I was talking to someone like Sasha, or Jean, that I was talking to an enemy. It was different with him. I actually wanted to talk to him. It felt comforting. Never once did the fact that he was meant to be my enemy come to my mind.

As we turned the corner, we saw Sasha, Jean and Connie coming down the hall. "Oh, hey guys!" Armin started. We quickly stopped holding hands, and I prayed that none of them saw.

"What's up, guys?" Connie asked with a smile. "Oh, we just..." I started. I'm not good at this. "...saw each other in the hallway, so we decided to walk down to training together." Armin cut me off. What would I do without him?

"Oh, okay! Can we walk with you two?" Connie seemed to have bought Armin's lie. Although, it did sound concerningly true.

"Of course," Armin replied, squeezing my arm. He knows I prefer to be alone, but for the sake of us being concealed, I had to walk with them.

"So are you all better now, Annie?" Jean asked. I could hear the sympathy in his voice. "Y-yes, thank you," I could almost feel a small smile forming on my lips. You're supposed to look mean and emotionless, you idiot.

As we approached the tables, I parted from Jean, Connie and Armin, who went to sit with the other boys.

I tried to hone in on the girls' conversations, but I just saw myself staring back at Armin, who looked happy sitting with his friends. I'm in love with him. But I shouldn't be, I can't be.

"An-Annie?" I saw Ymir waving her hand in front of my face. "Oh, sorry, I guess i'm just tired." I took a bite of bread.

"Listen, about the other night..." Mikasa started. "It's alright. I don't know what got into me. Sorry." I shook it off. "No, we should be apologizing, we shouldn't have pressured you like that. Even if you don't like anyone, that's fine." Sasha cupped my hand in hers. "You don't really seem like the kind to like someone." Shit. I'm supposed to have an emotionless look, not look like I'm incapable of feeling anything!

"No- listen, it isn't like that. It's just... complicated, okay?" I stared back up at the girls, who looked at each other knowingly. "Oh. That's alright." Ymir said, stretching her arms.

"Anyways..." Ymir started talking about something else. I zoned out again, catching myself staring at Armin. He's the only one I even wanted to talk to. The only one who will ever understand me in this cruel world.