Chapter 3

Meredith was woken up early by the sounds of voices. "Good morning Grey. We're taking you up for some scans." Bailey said.

"What time is it?" Meredith asked with a cough. "Around 10." She replied, pushing Meredith into the CT room.

The orderlies came to help transfer meredith, but she wasn't having it. "I can move on my own." She said as she moved from the gurney to the CT.

"You know the drill. We'll be in the other room, just yell if you need us." She said before leaving.

Meredith felt the machine pull her back and she sighed. She still couldn't comprehend this. In this CT, she felt lonely.

•••

Dr Swender joined Bailey and Richard in the CT room. "Are they up yet?" She asked. "Not yet. A few more minutes." Richard answered.

"How's she been feeling this morning?" Dr Swender asked. "Her vitals were good. Fever broke a few hours ago." Bailey said.

"After these scans I'm going to talk to her about treatment plans." Swender said as the scans came up.

"Oh...it's spread to the liver and spleen...maybe even to the lymph nodes." Swender muttered, taking notes of everything.

"Damn Grey." Richard said. "Okay. Let's get her back to her room. I want to discuss treatment right away." Dr Swender said.

•••

Derek went home the previous night to Addison at the trailer. "Can we talk?" He asked in a broken voice.

She nodded, and sat down on the deck across from
Him. "Addie....I tried. I tried to make this work. But....I'm not happy anymore." Derek admitted, getting straight to the point.

"I knew this was coming, but what brought this on?" Addison asked softly. Derek sighed. "Meredith has stage 4 leukemia. She has a 45% percent chance of survival." He admitted.

"Oh god.." Addison trailed off. "I'll give you papers tomorrow morning. You should..." Addison swallowed. "Go be with Meredith. She needs you."

"Thank you. We had a good 11 years." Derek said, standing up. "We did." She agreed as she watched him walk away.

•••

Meredith was wheeled back to her own room and settled in there, where Derek met her. "Hey." He said with a smile. "Hi." She replied.

"How are you feeling?" Derek asked, walking closer to her. "Okay. I'm okay. I just had a few scans." Meredith answered .

"Mer, I-" Derek started. "Good morning everyone." Dr Swender said, cutting him off as she entered the room.

"How are you feeling this morning Meredith? Chills, coughing, pain?" She asked. "Just tired." Meredith replied. "Well, we got your scans today as you know, and we know where the cancer is. It's spread to your liver, spleen, and lymph nodes." Dr Swender explained.

"So what does that mean?" Meredith asked, her voice shaky. Derek grabbed her hand and squeezed. "It means that we're going to have to take a more aggressive approach to attack this cancer."

"Instead of chemo and radiation once every 3 weeks, 5 days a week, it'll be more frequent. More like every other week, 5 days a week. It's going to take a lot out of you, but if you want to go home between treatments, I think that would be okay. You would need someone with you ag all times just in case." Dr Swender said.

"But I could leave?" Meredith asked. "You can, if you feel up to it. But as I said, you need someone with you at all times and the chemo is going to affect immune system, making it to be very weak, so even the simplest cold can turn deadly." She warned.

"Okay. When do I start treatment?" Meredith asked, holding dereks hand even tighter. "It's Friday now, so I would suggest Monday with chemo, and we'll start with that for the week and maybe switch to radiation if we need to."

"Okay." Meredith said. "You are good to go home today. Do you have anyone to take you?" Dr Swender asked. "Uh.." Meredith trailed off.

"I'll take her home." Derek said with a smile. "Okay. If you have any questions, let me know." Dr Swender said, turning to leave.

"Wait! What's the deal with work?" Meredith asked. "You won't be working for a little while. The chemo is going to take a lot out of you, and I don't want you in a highly infectious place." Dr Swender replied. "Don't worry about that. I'll sort it out with the board." Richard said.

Meredith nodded as they all left. "Resdy to go home?" Derek asked. "Yeah. But we have to talk when we get there." Meredith said.

•••

Derek drove Meredith home and saw her getting drowsy. "You okay over there?" He asked. "Yeah. Just thinking." Meredith answered. "We'll be home soon and we can talk." Derek assured.

A few minutes later, they walked inside the house and Derek had Meredith sit down. He followed her after he grabbed some water and sat down next to her.

"I talked to Addison this morning. She's....it's over. She's giving me papers tomorrow morning." Derek explained.

"Derek..." Meredith trailed off.

"I tried to make it work. I was raised that way. My family doesn't believe in divorce. So I knew I had to try out of obligation. Mer, I never stopped loving you. I may have been with her, but you've always been on my mind. And I don't care what my family thinks anymore. We're getting a divorce." He said.

"Why do you want to be with me now? I could die." Meredith said. "You are not going to die. And I'm going to be there for everything, if you'll let me. The chemo, the sickness, the fevers, everything. I'm not letting you go through that alone." Derek said.

"I'm really scared, Derek." Meredith whispered. "Me too. We'll get through it together."

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Also, this will be a collab with merderrstan
I hope you all are doing well !