Chapter 38

Wednesday, 9:00am

"Shep, now we really are here to take Meredith to interventional radiology for her first treatment. I know you two got married yesterday, but we don't have much time to waste." Tom stated firmly.

"Okay." Derek replied with a big gulp as he turned to his new wife. "Mer." He said gently, skaking her awake.

Meredith slowly opened her eyes and groaned. She had headaches practically everyday now, but every morning it was bad.

"Time?" She mumbled. "It's time. First treatment." Derek faked a smile, grabbing her hand.

"Ready to kick this treatment's ass, Grey?" Tom asked confidently. "Bring it." Meredith replied with a grin.

Derek helped her into a wheelchair and they began their way down to interventional radiology.

Derek moved to help her onto the table, but Meredith stopped me. "L-let me do it. After t-this I probably w-won't be feeling t-too hot." She said gently.

Derek nodded and watched her slowly lay herself down on the table. "Okay, shepherd. Out. I'll let you know when we're done." Tom said.

"What? No. I'm not leaving." Derek replied defensively. "Uh, actually, you are. Out." Tom repeated. "But-"

"Derek. I-it's okay. Go t-take a nap. Or e-eat sometning." Meredith cut in as she was hooked onto a oxygen nasal.

"I don't..." he trailed off. "I'll be o-okay. Go." She insisted. "Okay. I love you." He said, kissing her forehead gently before Reluctantly walking away.

"Ready for this, Grey?" Tom asked. "Yeah." Meredith muttered.

•••

Derek left the room and sighed. "Koracick start?" Mark asked as he walked over to him. "Yeah." Derek replied.

"It's gonna be a while." Mark commented. "I know."

"Come on, Derek." Carolyn said, coming out of nowhere and grabbing him by his elbow. "But she...." He started.

"Meredith will be fine and Tom will let us know when it's done. You, on the other hand, need to get some food." She said in her stern motherly voice.

Derek nodded and let his mother and mark drag him to the cafeteria. "So, how was your first night as a married man?" Carolyn smiled gently as they ate breakfast.

"Would've been better if my wife wasn't in a hospital bed, but all this considered it was good." Derek shrugged. Of course, he would've much preferred to spend his wedding night in their own bedroom doing some things, but he was just glad she wasn't sick last night.

"Yeah, I bet you wish you were at home under the sheets with Grey." Mark smirked. "I do." Derek muttered under her breath.

"Boys." Carolyn said in amusement. She didn't want to hear any more about her sons' sex lives.

"What are you two going to do for the honeymoon when she gets better?" Carolyn asked, changing the subject.

"Well, we're going to the Bahamas already when shes in remission. That could double as our honeymoon, or we could go on another trip." Derek replied. "Going to the Bahamas already?" Carolyn asked in surprise.

"Well, when she's better it's like a celebratory trip. I don't know. She deeerves it after all she's been through." He shrugged.

"That's true." She agreed as someone's pager filled the silence. "911. I gotta go. Let me know how Grey does." Mark said, begging up and walking away quickly.

"Derek?" Carolyn asked. "Yeah?" He responded. "I didn't get a chance to tel you this at the wedding, but I'm very proud and happy for you." She said softly.

"Thanks, mom." Derek said with a smile. "You married a fantastic young woman. I can't wait for you two to come up to New York when she's better."

"When she's better." Derek echoed.

•••

Tom watched as Meredith was wheeled back to her room. The procedure went well, but he was nervous. This was Meredith Grey. An incredible young surgeon. Ellis Greys daughter. Derek Shepherds wife. Practically the chiefs daughter. Everyone at Seattle Grace loved her.

He knew this was an extremely experimental procedure, and if she didn't respond well he knew it wouldn't be his fault, but he couldn't help but worry.

He sighed as he scrubbed out and went to find Derek. "Shepherd." Tom said, spotting him, Sloan, and an older woman he didn't know.

"Tom. Is she okay? How did it go?" Derek asked nervously, standing up. "Everything went well. She'll be groggy and probably not in a very good mood or feeling good, but she should be up soon." He answered.

"Thank you. Can I see her?" He asked. "Yes. Same room as before. And shepherd?" Tom asked. "Yeah?"

"She's going to be sick and feel like hell when she wakes up. Just be prepared for that." Tom responded before walking away.

•••

Derek went to Meredith's room quickly and saw her, a nasal cannula in her nose sleeping peacefully.

Derek never expected his wife in to have cancer. Of course, he'd seen tons and tons of patients get diagnosed with all different types of cancers. But he never expected the love of his life to have it.

He kissed her forehead gently and then sat down in a seat. Derek wasn't actually sure he was quite ready for when she woke up. He had seen her through her being violently sick from chemo and radiation, but this was a whole new ball game.

Derek did a ton of research on this procedure, and he read rhat patients waking up felt like they were dying. Worse than chemo and radiation and everytbing.

But he would stick with it through the whole thing with her.

Through sickness and health.

Hey guys! We hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well . As always, go follow merderrstan