Chapter 37

Tuesday 8:17 AM

Derek sat by Meredith's bedside as she slept. He raised his head from his hands to see Tom outside the room, followed by an intern pushing a wheelchair.

Derek quickly stood, pushing through the door to meet them in the hallway.

"Shep, we're here to take Meredith to interventional radiology for her first treatment." Tom stated, his tone arrogant as usual.

"No, you're not. I told the clinical trial coordinator we wouldn't be ready to start until tomorrow. We need time." Derek stated firmly, turning around and re-entering the ICU room.

The noise of the door caused Meredith to stir. Derek raised the head of the bed, adjusting the blanket over her shoulders.

"Good morning. How are you?" He asked, placing a kiss on her temple.

"Hmm, t-ired and sore." She whispered, grasping Derek's hand as he nodded sympathetically.

"Cristina's wed-wedding is t-oday. W-ish it was us." Meredith said, a sad smile on her face. Derek's expression remained neutral, but he climbed into the hospital bed, allowing her head to rest on his chest.

"I know it must be hard to miss so much." Now that Meredith couldn't see his face, Derek grinned. She nodded in agreement before dozing off in his comforting touch.

Minutes later, Carolyn entered the room, making sure the door shut quietly so it wouldn't wake Meredith.

"Is she ready?" Carolyn asked, setting down a bag of makeup she was borrowing from Izzie. Derek nodded, sitting up a little straighter.

"Yeah, but she'll probably sleep through it. You can get started." Carolyn smiled. pulling a chair closer to the bed. She hovered a makeup brush above Meredith's face, taking a moment to look up at her smiling son.

"I'm proud of you, my boy."

—-

Hours later, Meredith was awake, completely oblivious to the makeup Carolyn had applied during her nap. Derek sat on the couch charting, frequently glancing at the clock.

"Cristina is going to be by in a minute. She wants to show you her dress before going to the church." He said.

Meredith smiled as Cristina entered the room, but immediately frowned.

"Cris.. why do y-ou look.. like that?" She asked. Cristina's hair was in coils, and the wedding dress was slung over her shoulders. Derek snorted at Meredith's bluntness.

"Wow, thanks Mer." Cristina joked, faking offense.

"No, s-eriously. You are still.. getting m-arried right? Why aren't you dre-ssed?" Meredith asked. She was confused, and this time it wasn't the brain tumor's fault.

"I'm not wearing the dress because it's not mine." Cristina responded simply. Meredith was infuriated.

"W-hat the hell? Burke.. is a good g-uy. You can't leave h-im at the altar.. just because.. you're all d-ark and twis-"

"Meredith!" Derek interrupted her. The couple made eye contact, and suddenly it clicked. Her mouth gaped, as Derek's eyes sparkled.

"The dress isn't mine, because it's yours Mer." Cristina said gently. She stepped forward to help her friend into the dress, and Meredith wrapped her arms around her.

Derek smiled at the embrace before getting up and leaving the room. After all, it's bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding.

—-