chapter four;

Kendall-

Kendall nervously sat in the corner of the food court, tapping her nails against the concrete table. She felt like the ceiling was about to collapse and she was terrified at the amount of people shoved into this small building.

She pulled out her phone to text her friends.

kendall: where ru guys?! you said you would be here at 3:30 in the food court and i'm here all alone!!

She dug her nails into the palm of her hand. She didn't want to be alone, especially in this huge place. Everybody was staring at her.

"Kendall!" The brunette quickly turned to see Kalani rushing towards her. She sat down across from her best friend. "Sorry for leaving you alone. My mom was taking forever."

Kendall giggled and sat up straighter. "It's fine, K!" She pulled out her wallet. "I just got some more money. Are you ready for shopping?"

"Of course! Masquerade parties are so fun!" Kendall grinned. Her grin quickly fell and she suddenly felt self-concious once again as a girl accidentally knocked into her and began laughing.

"Maddie is on her way and Chloe will be here in a few more minutes," Kalani explained.

"Okay." Kendall said quietly. She sat down at the table and began to pick at her nail polish again. She needed a new manicure again, anyways.

"Hey, are you okay?" Kalani asked, leaning over to get to Kendall's level.

Kendall immediately perked up, a huge grin on her face. "Of course! I'm just really hungry," she giggled.

"Oh! Yeah, me too," Kalani smiled. "Except I'm not on a diet like you. Maybe today should be an off day for you."

Kendall shrugged. "Yeah. The pretzels here smell so good!"

The two best friends chatted for awhile until Maddie and Chloe arrived, and the girls all went to order some food.

"Does anybody else want a milkshake?" Kendall asked, pointing to the Chick-Fil-A across the food court.

The girls shook their head. "Kalani and I are getting pizza from that Italian place, and Maddie is getting a vegetarian burger," Chloe said.

Kendall nervously rubbed her arm. "Oh. Will somebody come with me to Chick-Fil-A, then? I won't remember where our table is."

Maddie laughed. "What? We sit here every time, remember?"

"Besides, we're all getting our own food anyways." Kalani piped up.

Kendall sighed. "Oh... I'll just get my own food, I guess."

"Remember where our table is!" Maddie called as the girls went their seperate ways.

Kendall took a deep breath as she tried to push her way through the crowd. This wasn't like at her high school where everybody made a path for the girls coming their way and were always polite to her. Here everybody shouted "Watch it!" if she accidentally bumped into them. She didn't like it at all.

She noticed people staring at her as she walked. Her heartbeat sped up and she sped across the Food Court to the Chick-Fil-A, where a teenage girl with lip piercings and bright pink hair stood.

There was nobody in line, and the girl was obnoxiously chewing gum while she scrolled through her phone.

Kendall pulled out her wallet and carefully walked up to the counter. She loudly cleared her throat, hoping the scary looking teenager would hear her.

She didn't.

Kendall bit her lip and stepped forward more. "Uh, excuse me?" She asked.

The girl's eyes snapped up to look at Kendall, who was shrinking in her heeled booties. "What do ya want?" The girl asked as she chewed her gum.

"Uh..." Kendall began to play with the end of her shirt. She felt like she was going to puke. "C-Can I get a small chocolate shake?"

The girl rolled her eyes and turned to face the kitchen. "Small chocolate shake!" She yelled. She turned back to Kendall. "It's $2.75."

Kendall hurriedly pulled some money out of her wallet and into the girl's hand, which was open while she waited for the money. She sighed and dropped the money into the cash register before going back to recieve Kendall's shake.

Kendall crossed her arms over her chest. Arms crossed, chin up. That's the key to success. That was what Chloe had always told the girls as they walked down the hall. It made them look more confident. That was all that mattered to Kendall– as long as she looked confident, nobody would notice.

The girl came back with the foam cup, which she shoved into Kendall's hand. Whipped cream spouted from the top of the cup and spread across the bottom of Kendall's shirt. "Have a nice day," the girl spat as she turned around and continued to text somebody.

"Oh, trust me. I won't." Kendall mumbled as she hurried away.

-

comment what you think of kendall

comment and vote pls!