20

Sage woke up in a terrible amount of pain, her vision was blurry but she saw about six people above her. The lights were bright and white and she couldn't exactly understand what was happening. She blacked out again.
*           *          *
     John held the letter in his hands, they began to shake as he felt his heart drop down to his stomach, making him lose his breath. The only thing that he could think of doing was knocking on Sage's door, pounding on it, hoping that she just happened to know Marc's cousin. 'She has to, she knows everybody.' He kept on thinking to himself as he kept on pounding.

After not receiving a response, John ran straight down to Marc's apartment and pounded on the door. He opened it with red puffy eyes, "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?" John shouted in anger, pointing at the envelope with Sage's name. "I...-" "YOU JUST SAT THERE AND DIDN'T BOTHER EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED?" John stopped himself, hearing Marc's silent sniffles, "....I didn't know how to tell you J, I'm sorry." John didn't know how to feel, but knowing that it was too late to visit again, he went back to his apartment and sat on his cold kitchen floor. Not crying, but just thinking.
                               * * *
     About a week later, Sage woke up. She couldn't understand anything the nurses told her, she couldn't move anything, she was in pain. The lights were too bright, she just wanted to get out. Then, she was able to see, she was put on morphine by the nurses attending to her. She couldn't move anything, however she was able to breathe and blink. But even that hurt enough even with the pain killer. The nurse explained what happened, shocked on how anything like that could happen, Sage began to tear up. All she could think of was the car, and...John? She remembered John's texts. She missed his voice, his awkward self, the odd way he walked, the way he would sit hunched over his desk and, the telephone. She was in love with him, stupidly so, she was in a god-awful amount of love with him. She remembered how when John was busy with work, she would go to Marc and vent about how oblivious he was. Marc would sit and tease her, she felt a tear fall from her eye, but before she could speak or do anything again, she blacked out.

     John tried to visit Sage after forcing the address to the hospital out of John, but she was in the intensive care unit, which meant it was family only. However, that didn't stop him from trying every time he had the chance. He cursed at himself, blaming himself for not asking more questions. She stayed in the ICU for two weeks, worrying John to the point where he couldn't even do commissions, only school work. He hadn't spoken to anyone but the nurse at the reception desk.

Then every minute,
Every hour