24

As she readjusted herself, she thought about how she was going to deliver it. Realizing that this was her one chance, she let go about how the delivery would show. "I love you." She spat out in a calm and collected tone.

Hearing her say that made John's worst nightmare but biggest dream come true.

"And I need you to tell me that you love me too." She explained shakily, John stayed silent. Not out of denial but out of a lack of knowledge of what to say. On the daily, he wrote millions of words but he couldn't bring himself to say three. Hearing his silence, she felt like she understood. Her hand was still enveloped in his, "Or you can tell me that you don't. Say that then." She defended herself. John stayed silent, tears forming in his eyes. He felt the burning get worse. He shook his head slightly, not sure what to say. "John...tell me something. Please?" She begged, her grip on his hand tightened in a slight amount. John still hadn't spoken a word, he tried his best to say that throughout the time that he knew her, he had loved her too, but nothing came out. He was stuck and the love of his life was leaving soon.

Sage couldn't bear the silence, he hadn't loved her. Accepting defeat, she muttered, "Or you could say nothing." John let go of her hand, not being able to bear it anymore, he walked out of the hospital room. Leaving her there, with nothing. Sage nodded, and looked down at the sunflower painting that he made for her. Marc told her how long he spent, he told her that he had actually lied about being a painter, he told her how much time he spent into finding the Walkman and the cassettes even though she couldn't stand the music playing. She listened to it because it reminded her of him, someone who actually looked forward to talking to her. Someone who gave her everything, including her happiness. He gave her all of that. And he didn't even love her.

John walked past Marc, tears blurring his view. Marc tried to stop him but instead got the shoulder, assuming that he was upset, he walked back towards the hospital room to make sure she was ok. He walked in to the same view he had saw initially, he saw that she was holding to the Walkman, and the painting. "What did he say?" Marc asked, his concern growing as a single tear fell down her face. "Nothing."

Your love made it
well worth waiting.