Chapter 7 - To Face Your Death

Chapter 7 – To Face Your Death

[Ina’s POV]

“…Now, get ready to face your death,”

Who could have known that I was only last night since it happened? Things went by so fast. It was faster than a blink of an eye.

“Stop, Ina!” he yelled as I tried to knock him down with Taijutsu, but unluckily, he managed to dodge all my attacks. “Listen to me!” I decided to focus my mind into killing him, seeing him dead was my only wish for now. “Stop!” with one swift movement, he grabbed my wrist and pinned me to the nearest tree. I decided not to look at him, not making any eye contact. “Look at me,”

I was rather shocked to feel the tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. “No,” I used all of my strength to get out of his grip, but failed in attempt.

I didn’t want to see him this sooner because I wanted to forget about him. I wanted to forget about these unknown feelings that I was feeling towards him.

I didn’t want to confirm that I was indeed falling in love with him.

His other hand then slid into my own until I felt a flashback come into me, a flashback of what happened between Sasori and Kirami right after I left.  

Like I told you before, all the flashbacks are muted. I didn’t hear what they’re saying but I tried to familiarize with every word. After for about ten minutes of their talking, they started launching at each other.

Sasori was obviously on the upper hand, Kirami wasn’t that much of a fighter like I thought she was…or maybe she was just too stunned to focus on her game when she’s fighting Sasori. I didn’t know, none of it mattered anymore. I didn’t care.

What was more important right now? It was the fact that Sasori didn’t trust me, and that’s final.

After pulling away from his grip as strongly as I could, I jumped ten feet away from him. “Ina,” hearing him muttered my name made my chest hurt.

How could he still call me with such hidden passion when he didn’t even side with me?

How was it possible for him to make me feel this kind of pain in my heart when it was clear that he didn’t fully have his feelings back? It was kind of unfair, knowing that I was having feelings towards someone who didn’t have any feelings.

Did he know how his actions affected me?

No, I guess not, and he was never going to know.

I was never to let him know.

“I keep my promises, Sasori,” I informed him, spitting each word with such powerful venom just like what he did last night, when he spat words that left my heart aching. “If I’m not going to be able to kill you now, I’ll be able to kill you later. Any last words?”

“Yes…” I saw his face turned into a painful one. And believe it or now, I felt his pain in my heart. I didn’t want to see him looking like that. “I’m sorry,”

And with that, my guard went down. Why did it also pain me to see that kind of sadness in his eyes? It clearly wasn’t my fault, was it? He didn’t choose to believe me.

He chose Kirami over me.

“Kirami understands you…” I whispered. “Not me,”

“I thought wrong,” he told me. “It was you who did understand me from the very star—“

“Why?” I blurted out almost immediately.

“…What?”

“Why?” I repeated my question. “Why do you care about it so much? You don’t see yourself as a human, you see yourself as a puppet. So, why bother? Why take me back?”

I was setting him free…in my mind.

“I—I don’t know,” he stuttered. “When you revived me, little by little, I remember how it felt to be human again. I remember the feelings that I felt when I was still young,”

“…What feelings?”

“Caring for someone…” he paused and looked at me straight in the eye, “…and being loved,”

His words did strike me like lightning. I didn’t know how to react. Was he talking about me when he said that he remembered the feeling of being loved?

Did he now feel that I care for him too much?

Why would I fall in love him when I only knew him for a short period of time?

How could I possibly love someone who’s just reawakening his buried feelings?

Without knowing what to do, I ran away from him as fast as I could. I did not need to turn around to know that he was tailing me. He kept up with my speed as I jumped from tree to tree. Right now, I was not sure of how I was going to be able to kill him. Today’s just not the right time.

With such insane speed that I summoned, I turned around to look at him while he stopped dead on his tracks, “Earth Style: Sticky Mud Jutsu,” I turned around, ready to walk again without actually running. The ground tied his feet to the ground with the use of my jutsu, making him to be unable to move.

I then felt the familiar texture of the strings surrounding my body, making me lose control of my own actions. I struggled to get away, but the strings dragged me back to Sasori. What seemed unfamiliar was that the strings didn’t hurt me at all.

I looked at Sasori and noticed how he’s inserting his chakra to the strings so the strings wouldn’t be able to hurt me. “Stop s—struggling,” he said through gritted teeth. He was obviously having a hard time inserting that awful lot of chakra into the strings.

I still had bruises all over my body because of earlier. I didn’t have the time to heal myself. He knew that hurting me one more time would wound me deeply. Not physically, but emotionally.

He dragged me to his body until there was only an inch away gap between us. I could feel his pant, his warm breath on my face. “W-Why?” I asked.

“I didn’t have feelings at first…” he started then continued, “But now, I think I care about you so much that I want to be with you for the better,”