Part 8

Chapter 8:

I hurried quickly to my dorm to get dressed in my black pants and white top. Something the Queen required all guardians to wear in her presence. Afterwards I moved quickly and efficiently towards the commons. They normally looked to be like regular cafeterias. But tonight I knew they would be different. The commons were transformed into a boda fide dining room. Vases spilled over with crimson roses and delicate white lilies. Candles sprinkled the tables, glowing and casting ghostly shadows against the walls. All of this had taken place on blood red linen. Everything was fit for the Queen

The tables were placed in straight lines, creating an aisle down the center of the room. I knew ahead of time that there would be assigned seating, the novices on one end and the Moroi on the other, along with the princes and princess' table. Guardians lined up against the wall, there was where I took my place as I waited for the students to arrive.

Scanning the crowd I caught sight of Rose, my chest tightened at the sight of her. Damn it! How could I feel this way about a student? I averted my eyes from her luscious form, focusing on what guardians do best. Everything but at the same time nothing. Finally the royals came in; out of respect everyone in the room stood up and watched as they walked down the center of the room.

Victor Dashkov was amongst them, walking sluggishly while leaning on a cane. My heart went out to him. I felt bad, he should have become King, but then that horrible disease struck him and the Moroi turned down the opportunity. After the royal group passed, four solemn guardians with red-and-black-pin-striped jackets entered through the massive doors.

Everyone in the room dipped down to one knee, expect for us guardians, in show of loyalty. Following them, finally, was Queen Tatiana. She wore a red silk dress and matching jacket. The Queen had reached her sixties. And her dark gray hair proved it, which bounced lightly in the bob form cut it was in. Sitting on top of her head was a sparkling beautiful tiara. She moved into the room with elegance and as if she were taking a stroll in the park as four more guardians walked behind her.

She moved through the novices section quickly and efficiently, although she did nod here and there to a couple of them. Many of the novices sitting in those seats would die young protecting her kind from evil. She had to show her sign in respect for them.

When she finally reached the Moroi section she stopped here and there and actually talked to some of the few students. It was a very big deal to be actually acknowledged by Tatiana, which most likely meant she was good friends with their parents. Royals always got the most attention from the Queen.

"Vasilisa Dragomir."

I could see one head, in the corner of my eye shoot up from its position. I didn't need a second glance to know that it was Rose's. I could see her pushing through the crowd, perhaps to get a better view of Lissa and the Queen. Tatiana had singled out the last of the Dragomir line, so it was a pretty big deal.

"We heard you had returned. We are glad to have the Dragomirs back, even though only one remains. We deeply regret the loss of your parents and your brother; they were among the finest of the Moroi, their deaths a true tragedy." Tatiana's voice echoed through the massive room.

"You have an interesting name." She continued. "Many heroines in Russian fairy tales are named Vasilisa. Vasilisa the Brave, Vasilisa the Beautiful. They are different young woman, all having the same name and the same excellent quantities: strength, intelligence, discipline, and virtue. All accomplish great things, triumphing over their adversaries.

"Likewise, the Dragomir name commands its own respect. Dragomir kings and queens have ruled wisely and justly in our history. They have used their powers for miraculous ends. They have slain Strigoi, fighting right alongside their guardians. They are royal for a reason."