Part 14

Chapter 14:

I was the first one to reach Rose. I ordered everyone to stand back; Ben grabbed a protesting Lissa, who was trying hard to get to Rose. Spiridon helped me break the bench, which wasn't easy. After repeatedly striking the rotten wood with my foot it finally cracked far enough for me to pry the rest of the wooden planks apart.

I picked up Rose's limp body, holding her against my chest. I jogged to the clinic; she wasn't that heavy, thanks to years of dhampir training. I could hear the rest of the group on my heels. Rose pulled on my shirt. "Comrade, I don't want to be put out of practice."

I looked down at her. "You'll be fine." Although I didn't know if that was the truth Rose didn't seem convinced.

"I don't want to be put out of practice." She repeated. I pushed the stray hairs out of her face; they felt every bit like silk as I had remembered it.

"I know." Was all I said.

I burst through the clinic, the nurse that had been sitting at the front desk shot up. I didn't need to say anything as she moved quickly to the first available room. Rose squirmed in my arms; I crooned her as she moaned. I anxiously looked in the nurse's direction; she was still setting the bed up for Rose and I urged her to hurry up.

Right as I laid her down on the bed she started to scream. My heart broke watching her this way, I wanted to pull her into my arms and whisper in her ear that it would all be okay. But sadly Lissa beat me to it. Pushing me out of the way she arrived at Rose's side. Sitting down next to her, she pressed her hand on Rose's upper thigh.

This simple action made Rose's screams become whispers. I could see her muscles slowly relaxing. I was relieved to see Rose in a better state. I averted my eyes to Lissa. Her eyes closed, concentration masked her features. She was truly a miracle.

The doctor came in then, shooing everyone out of the room. I had convinced her that I was ordered to take full care of Rose. When she started to protest I stated that it was the Headmistress' orders, and that had shut her up in mid-sentence. Sighing she got to work on Rose, trying her best to ignore me.

Half an hour later she announced that Rose's ankle wasn't broken, and that she would prefer her not to do any training for the next couple of days. Which I had to fully agree with, there was no way in hell I was going to let Rose fight on that ankle. Her safety was important to me.

The nurse gave Rose medicine, telling me it was for the pain and then left the room.

The rest of the group came in then, I convinced them to go back to their rooms. Rose wouldn't be up for a while, and I was going to be awake all night anyways. All of them left except for Victor, who handed me a small box with a note attached to it. He looked at me and smiled. "For Rose." And then left me alone in the room with her.

An hour later Rose's eyes fluttered open. I had been watching her for so long that sudden movement made my heart skip a beat. I found myself slightly accepting these feelings for now.

"Rose."

She turned her face to mine. "Hey." She managed to croak out.

"How do you feel?"

"Weird. Kind of groggy."

"Dr. Olendzki gave you something for the pain--you seemed pretty bad when we brought you in."

"I don't remember that... how long have I been out?"

"A few hours."

"Must be strong. Must still be strong." I saw her wiggle her toes under the blanket. Surprised she said, "I don't hurt at all."