Part 16

Chapter 16:

My shirt had already been off before Rose even arrived, although my pants stayed on. Lying on the covers, we clung to each other and kept kissing. The feel of her lips on mine sent a shiver down my spine. One girl had kissed me but that was only because I was forced to. But even my first kiss couldn't compare to kissing Rose.

I murmured her Russian name over and over. Roza, Roza... After wanting her for so long I could hardly believe that this was happening. And I found myself loving to be close to her.

The whole time I heard that urging voice. That voice that wasn't my own but powerful enough to follow. Stay with her. Don't think about anything else except her. Keep touching her. Forget about everything else.

I had listened, although I didn't need to be told twice.

I wanted to do a lot more than what we were. But I took things slow anyways, I could tell by the stiffness of her body that she was nervous. At one point she shifted so that she hovered over me, her hair hanging around me. I tilted my head slightly as she reached down, brushing her fingertips over the six tiny marks that were tattooed into my skin. Her touch was warm and I welcomed it.

"Did you really kill six Strigoi?" Her voice was quiet and just hearing it made my heart race faster. I nodded. "Wow."

I brought her neck down to my mouth and kissed her. My teeth grazed her skin, and by the way she melted into my arms I knew she liked my version of a vampire bite. "Don't worry. You'll have a lot more than me someday."

"Do you feel guilty about it?"

"Hmm?"

"Killing them. You said in the van that it was the right thing to do, but it still bothers you. It's why you go to church, isn't it? I see you there, but you aren't really into the services."

I smiled, surprised that she had figured that out. "How do you know these things? I'm not guilty exactly... just sad sometimes. All of them used to be human or dhampir or Moroi. It's a waste, that's all, but as I said before, it's something I have to do. Something we all have to do. Sometimes it bothers me, and the chapel is a good place to think about those things. Sometimes I find peace there, but not often. I find more peace with you."

I rolled Rose off of me to move on top of her. The kissing picked up once more, harder this time, more urgent. And I was ready, ready to take our kissing into a whole new level, ready to lose it to her. Looking down into those dark eyes I could tell that she felt the same way. Smiling, I slid my hands behind her neck and unfastened her rose necklace.

I set it on the bedside table. As soon as the chain had left my fingers I felt like I'd been slapped in the face. She blinked, and stared up at me.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I--I don't know."

That urgent voice was missing, like I had turned it off. I felt dizzy, and looking down at Rose, who was naked, I didn't feel that sudden urge anymore. Although I still wanted her, so much, I found myself finding more control over my wants and needs. I no longer had that voice pushing me towards her.

I frowned. When did this happen? What would make this urge change? I continued to lay on top of Rose staring down at her as I puzzled through this. Even though laying on her made me want those urges to come back I took a deep breath and tried to control myself.

Then it hit me, the necklace was the cause, something told me. Following its advice I reached over and picked it up. The instant my fingers touched it I felt the sudden desire of needing Rose. I slid my other hand onto her hip, and I could feel her react the same way I had. Her breathing became heavy as I leaned towards her, my lips brushing her skin.