Part 9

Chapter 9:

After leaving Rose to attend to her bed I went upstairs to my own dorm to lie down. The guardians slept in the same dorm as the novices. Just in case one of the students decides to leave the dorm thinking that no one would catch them. I had just lain down, in just my pajama pants, when my cell started to ring. Sighing I sat up, grabbing my phone I squinted against the bright light that it casted. It was one of the matrons. Clearing my throat I tried to sound like I had been up at this time of night. "Hello?" I reached over, turning on the lamp next to my bedside.

"Belikov, one of your students is here to talk to you, its urgent."

Trying hard not to sigh into the phone as I asked in a professional tone: "alright, who?"

"Rosemarie Hathaway." With those two simple words I got up, forgetting to say good bye which earned me a humph from the other and the electronic click from her hanging up. Grabbing my gear I quickly got dressed and left without bothering to turn off the light.

As I traveled down the familiar hallways that lead to the stairs I couldn't keep my mind off of Rose. The matron said it was urgent. Could Rose possibly be hurt? No, Rose wasn't the type of person who ran to someone else when she was in pain. So that left me with one other option: Lissa. The thought of the princess being hurt made me walk faster towards the lobby, where Rose stood, waiting for me.

As soon as I opened the door to the lobby, Rose turned towards me, the look in her eyes told me my earlier assumptions were right. Putting on my guardian face I said, "Lissa."

Rose's nod in response was all I needed. I turned around and started back down the stairs, her footsteps in tow. We walked across the quad in silence, toward the Moroi dorm. The sun shone down on us as we approached the tall building. I had always loved the sun, and welcomed it as we walked in silence. The Moroi light sensitivity forced us to live in the dark, which I had learned to grow accustomed to.

As we entered the Moroi dorm Lissa's matron gaped, but knew I was too intimidating to oppose, all thanks to my height and status.

"She's in the bathroom." Rose announced. The matron followed Rose but stopped when she held a hand up for the matron to stop. "She's too upset. Let me talk to her alone first."

I considered this; we were too high off of the ground for Rose to try to escape with the princess again. It was nearly impossible and I had grown to trust her. "Yes. Give them a minute."

Rose pushed the door open, "Liss?" And then the soft sound of the door closed behind her.

The matron looked at me curiously, "how did you know where the princess was?"

I avoided her eyes. "She called Rose, and Rose said that there was something wrong with her, she wouldn't tell me what." Which was slightly true, only a select few knew about their bond, and I wanted to keep it that way for their sake.

I tried to strain my ears to hear the conversation that was going on in the room next to me. To my disappointment I could only make out murmurs.

The matron didn't seem to notice my sudden interest that was taking place next to us. Her eyes were still on me. "I can't believe that Vasilisa wouldn't come down and get me, let alone another Moroi."

I shrugged slightly. "She trusts Rose, give them time."

Their voices rose in the room next to me and I started to feel concern, for both the girls. Rose's voice was sharp and clipped, while Lissa's was strong but strained. And I couldn't help but cock my head and wonder what the hell was going on in that bathroom.

Taking one look at the matron I knew she heard it too and if I didn't interfere soon she would and knowing Rose's ongoing temper it would be bad. I turned and knocked on the door. "Rose?"