Humanity's Comeback Part II

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: Eren, Mikasa, and Armin become soldiers. The viewers learn Keith Shadis knew Grisha.

"In the year 845, the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan suddenly appeared and destroyed one of humanity's Walls and everyday life with it. And then, finally freed from their century-long hunger, the Titans overran humankind once again. Humanity abandoned Wall Maria, lost twenty percent of its population and one-third of its territory, and was forced to retreat behind Wall Rose."

[Two Years After Enlistment]

Rain came down heavily, soaking everything beneath it. In a forest, a horse galloped. "Too slow! Pick up the pace! Run, you lead-footed laggards!"

The trainees ran, carrying large packs.

Lead-footed laggards, maggots, barn animals, he sure had a way with words. Hange smiled, reminisce.

Keith slowed. "What's your problem, Arlert?! You're dragging your feet! Too heavy for you? Maybe you'd prefer I let you drop your gear? If this were a real mission, you'd be Titan food by now!" He galloped ahead.

"Damn." Armin gasped.

"Give it here!" Reiner grabbed his pack. "You're gonna fail out at this rate! We're being graded today!"

The recruits shot Armin curious looks. Had Reiner helped him pass?

Armin kept his eyes forward, unwilling to see their expressions.

"But you'll get points marked off, too, if you do that, Reiner."

"Then make an effort not to get caught. Don't make me change my mind."

Reiner Braun. Keith watched them sneakily.

He knew? Armin's eyes widened.

"Oh shit," Connie muttered. Were they going to get in trouble? He couldn't remember that happening, though.

He has both a robust physique and mental strength. Keith continued his evaluation. His comrades also have great trust in him.

The veteran Scouts saw the recruits nodding along with Keith's words.

"I refuse to be a burden!" With determination, Armin shot forward. "Even if it costs me my life!" He snatched back his pack. Breathing heavily, he raced ahead.

Eren and Mikasa smiled proudly. They never had any doubts.

Armin Arlert. Keith thought. Although lacking in physical strength, his aptitude in the classroom is extraordinary.

Ahead, a Titan dummy was raised. Jean, Bert, and Annie sliced through the nape. Annie Leonhart. Her slice attacks are absolutely flawless, but her reclusive tendencies make her a poor fit for coordinated efforts.

It was then they realized what they were watching. The recruits sat straighter. They'd seen the scores but the evaluation was for their superiors' eyes only. They were eager to know how they were rated.