No Regrets Part II

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: The group begins watching Levi's past. It puts some things into perspective for the recruits. Their hero worship for him grows. Mikasa feels sympathy for Levi.

|~|

The episode opened to the image of a beautiful white castle with a blue roof, chirping birds, mountains in the background.

A Scout slammed his fist on the table. "Quite frankly, this is humiliating."

The commander sat at the head of the table, arms crossed, silent.

Sasha scrutinized the stern-faced man. "Hey, it's Shadis."

"He looks so young, younger than he did in the first episode. It's a little weird," Christa said.

"Are you honestly telling us, who have always held formality in high regard, to accept a bunch of criminals?" Farlan, Isabel, and Levi were pulling on the Wings of Freedom jackets as Flagon spoke. "Our soldiers' morale will be tainted if we allow those Underground scum to join our ranks."

"I get it," Eren muttered. He would have felt the same way. He took great pride in being a member of the Survey Corps. But it was already difficult enough trying to prove themselves without it spreading around that the Survey Corps let criminals in.

Mikasa could understand where the man was coming from. People already look down on them and they don't need to give them more ammunition.

"I am in agreement with Flagon," a man next to him said. Erwin and another man across from them. "And to suggest we take these criminals with us on the next expedition?"

"The Military Police is extremely lazy and do underhanded deals, giving out special favors, and they treat rules and regulations as something flexible," Armin said. But the Scouts were the complete opposite. Discipline was a big thing among Scouts. And then Commander Erwin does what the MP would do. And he wasn't even the commander at the time.

"Yeah," Jean crossed his arms. "It'd rankle my feathers too."

"I understand your concerns," Erwin said. "But I can personally vouch for their 3D Maneuver Gear skills."

"The new formation that Erwin has been working on is quite groundbreaking," Keith spoke up. "It empathizes importance not on how best to kill Titans, but how we should best avoid them. I believe our casualties will be greatly reduced."

"This formation is likely to be accepted as the norm for our forces."

"What those scum lack are discipline and manners," Keith said.

Levi glared at the TV.

"He doesn't mean that in a derogatory manner. At least, not in the way you're thinking," Petra said. "It's in the same way he addresses the new recruits at the Trainee Corps."

"Precisely," Hange nodded. "It's just his way with the new blood!"

Flagon gritted his teeth, looking less than pleased, staring at Erwin.