Ilse's Notebook

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: Ymir tells the group she's a Titan-Shifter and about the world.

|~|

After using the facilities, and snacking and rehydrating, plus another few minutes of chatter and amazed looks at Ymir—which she pointedly ignored—the group was finally ready, settled in, and considerably more relaxed and ready for an episode.

"In the year 845…" Candy began.

Little Eren, Mikasa, and Armin stood with a crowd.

"It's been a while since we've had this opening," Connie said.

"It's kinda nice," Christa replied. It was familiar and comforting. She was glad for the break after all they had learned. She ignored her own truth. I'm no one. I'm unimportant.

"…due to the sudden appearance of the Colossal and Armored Titan, daily lives of the humans in the Walls crumbled along with the Wall."

The Colossal was peering over the Wall, the Armored had broken through the gate, and the Smiling Titan ate Carla.

"Stop!" Eren cried out, being carried over Hannes's shoulder.

Lips pressed together, they stared grimly at the TV.

A map of the Walls appeared, surrounded by Titans. "Humanity abandoned Wall Maria, lost twenty percent of its population, and a third of its territory…"

Despite everything they had learned, it was hard not to feel a deep ache at the loss and a rush of anger as a result.

A Garrison soldier stood on a building, watching Titans enter through the hole. "…and were confined behind Wall Rose in one moment." The Survey Corps flag appeared. "However, humanity had not lost to the Titans just yet." A regiment of Scouts roared, swords raised.

They smiled. It quickly disappeared when they remembered exactly they were going out to kill.

No, Ymir said they're suffering. Hange told herself there was nothing to be done.

Everyone else told themselves the same thing.

"The Garrison was tasked with guarding the Walls…" The Walls were fortified with cannons. "…and young recruits were being trained in techniques and knowledge to fight with Titans." Eren stood with other trainees. In the next scene, he was slicing the nape of a dummy Titan. Jean appeared next, sparring, surrounded by fellow trainees.

To think we were trainees only a month ago. Eren felt so much older. It's like being in this room has added a year to me.

He wasn't the only one thinking that. "That feels so long ago," Sasha muttered. Had it really only been a month?

"Feels like it's been forever," Christa nodded.

"Around that time…"

|~|